ESP M-II NT Truss-rod & Frets

Updated
steve d.

Hello, I've just purchased a brand new ESP M-II Neck-trough.

I've noticed the truss-rod shaft tip has been insert just for a bit portion inside the truss rod nut. I would to know if it's ok, I know it should be a 2-way truss-rod so the nut is welded on the shaft but I would to be shure this little portion of the shaft inside the nut is normal and is enought to guarantee a lasting solid structure when truss-rod will be turned to adjusting neck relief over time.

Picture in the link below:

https://s29.postimg.org/fklfn7kw7/truss_rod.jpg

The other question is about the frets, since guitar has been purchased as a brand new one, I have noticed top of the frets are a bit squared (picture in the link below). I've seen other xj frets on other ESP guitars are rounded on the top, I would to know if frets can have a different shapes in order of the way they have been worked and on mine they are fine anyway or the shape on mines is not good and it's due to a fret dressing job with no-recrowing?

https://s24.postimg.org/mum92ear9/frets.jpg

Thanks in advance for the support.

Regards

Pushead

Your truss rod is normal, you'll see different amounts of the truss rod sticking through depending on how much relief there is in the neck.

There is a little play wear showing on the frets, but if the guitar isn't buzzing I wouldn't worry much about it.  It's possible that the guitar had been sitting as a store display for a while.

steve d.

Thanks for the reply.

I think what you say it's about the traditional truss-rod, for what I know the type of truss-rod ESP uses (2-way one) has the adjusting nut welded on the rod shaft so when you turn the nut in the same time turn the shaft...in this way the portion of the shaft in the adjusting nut remain always the same 'cause both are welded together...

If I'm right on this my question is if this little portion of the rod shaft welded in the nut is enough to assure a proper truss-rod work along the time or it's too little to assure a lasting solid structure

Pushead

I doubt ESP fabricates the truss rods they use. I'd suspect they buy them from a supplier.

If you like, I'll be happy to photograph the truss rod end in a few of my ESPs. 

steve d.

I don't say they fabricate the truss-rods they use, I say they use a 2-way truss-rods type which has the adjusting nut welded on rod shaft...

Yes, thanks, pictures of your ESPs will be much appreciated!

ESP Admin

Hello, I've just purchased a brand new ESP M-II Neck-trough.

I've noticed the truss-rod shaft tip has been insert just for a bit portion inside the truss rod nut. I would to know if it's ok, I know it should be a 2-way truss-rod so the nut is welded on the shaft but I would to be shure this little portion of the shaft inside the nut is normal and is enought to guarantee a lasting solid structure when truss-rod will be turned to adjusting neck relief over time.

https://s29.postimg.org/fklfn7kw7/truss_rod.jpg

The other question is about the frets, since guitar has been purchased as a brand new one, I have noticed top of the frets are a bit squared (picture in the link below). I've seen other xj frets on other ESP guitars are rounded on the top, I would to know if frets can have a different shapes in order of the way they have been worked and on mine they are fine anyway or the shape on mines is not good and it's due to a fret dressing job with no-recrowing?

https://s24.postimg.org/mum92ear9/frets.jpg

Thanks in advance for the support.

Regards

The amount of space available for adjustment appears to be acceptable for allowing proper adjustment, from the photo provided. If you are concerned, we would suggest you have an experienced technician inspect your instrument. The wear and tear of this portion of the instrument is mostly dependent upon the ability of the user to make proper adjustments with the right tools. 

The photo of the frets does show some wear which could be the cause for any perceived squaring. It does not present any major issues if the play-ability of the instrument is unaffected, but may be something you wish to discuss with the dealer if it is causing any issues and was a recent purchase. 

Post to Thread