M-2 Urban Camo - yellowing finish

Updated
Jonathan B

Hello guys,

I have a 2010 japanese M-2  Urban Camo (matte finish) that with time has come to become quite yellowish. The white sections of the camo and the white finish on the neck have all become a "dirty" yellow, despite the guitar being maintained in a case when not being used, and serviced/cleaned often.

Is there a way of returning to its former color? I am weary of trying any products to clean it and staining the finish, but its a shame if there's nothing to be done.

Kind regards!

Jonathan

ESP Admin
Jonathan B wrote:

Hello guys,

I have a 2010 japanese M-2  Urban Camo (matte finish) that with time has come to become quite yellowish. The white sections of the camo and the white finish on the neck have all become a "dirty" yellow, despite the guitar being maintained in a case when not being used, and serviced/cleaned often.

Is there a way of returning to its former color? I am weary of trying any products to clean it and staining the finish, but its a shame if there's nothing to be done.

Kind regards!

Jonathan

The yellowing is due to the aging Polyurethane finish which is normal. The only way to remove this yellowing would be to re-finish the instrument. The time it takes for the finish to reach certain degrees of yellowish intensity will vary between instruments and is unable to be accurately predicted. This yellowing is also most visible on instruments with white or very light colored finishes. 

ESP 348

Hello ESP,

Can I send my 2009 white ESP Ouija back to the Custom Shop for them to 're-finish it' to like new again??

Looking forward to hearing your reply.

ESPEXP

That's the problem with white guitars....just like white cars

ESP Admin

Hello ESP,

Can I send my 2009 white ESP Ouija back to the Custom Shop for them to 're-finish it' to like new again??

Looking forward to hearing your reply.

At this time we do not offer the opportunity to send instruments back to the Custom Shop in Japan for refinishing.

ESP 348

Thanks for the reply mate, I will worry about asking again when the time comes.

Big Daddy B

At this time we do not offer the opportunity to send instruments back to the Custom Shop in Japan for refinishing.

Can you do small refinish jobs at the USA shop....e.g. a simple headstock refin?

Post to Thread