ESP Viper Urban Camo gets glossy

Updated
ESP Viper Urban Camo gets glossy

Sadly my ESP Viper Urban Camo starts to get glossy spots. The Viper got an awesome satin finish. But the glossy spots ruining the look and feel. I m very into details and for me it's a real problem

Is there a possibility to "fix" this without painting the whole body? 

Pushead

Unfortunately not.  It's how matte finishes react to being touched.  A combination of the oils in your skin and any friction from movement cause a polishing effect. It's not just guitars it happens to, anything with a matte finish eventually gets a bit glossy.

Road King

I've got an '03 woodland and the neck has turned glossy. There's no fix for it except a refinish. Kind of a bummer to play.

ESP Admin
m1santh3op wrote:

Sadly my ESP Viper Urban Camo starts to get glossy spots. The Viper got an awesome satin finish. But the glossy spots ruining the look and feel. I m very into details and for me it's a real problem

Hello m1santh3op,

It is in the nature of a satin finish to attain a gloss appearance over time. Both friction and compounds can cause the satin to become glossy. At this time the only remedy known is refinishing with a new satin coat.

m1santh3op

Thank you very much for the info. Is it necessary to remove the old finish or only to let a professional spray a new finish over the old one? 

ESP Admin
m1santh3op wrote:

Due to the complexity of refinishing instruments and painting in general it would be recommended to have such work performed by a qualified individual.

Post to Thread