Ltd 7 string baritone

Updated
zain v.

Can anyone give me a straight answer to whether or not you can tune a 7 string 27" baritone to standard E tuning preferably using 11's or 10's?

Thanks.

Pushead

Sure you can.  You just need to adjust the truss rod accordingly.  Are you hoping to tune it to BEADGBE, or EADGBEA?

zain v.

BEADGBE is the plan. I use NYXL's on my 6 string so was hoping to stick the those.

Pushead

Yeah, it will be no trouble.  The nice part of the 27" baritone scale is to lose the flub of the low B on a 25.5" scale.

zain v.

Is the increased fret spacing on a 27" very noticeable?

Pushead

At first, but I found that it was easy to adapt to.  Realistically, other than the 1st fret, the spacing is the same as any 25.5" scale instrument.  So if you play a 5th fret A chord on the 27", it would be the same spacing as a 4th fret G# chord on the 25.5.  It sounds implosable, but if you look at fret spacing it's pretty much true.

I had a much more difficult time when trying to move to the 28.625" scale of a Fender baritone.  It was too big, and I got rid of the gutiar.  I have a EC-401b 6-string baritone that I replaced it with.  It feels much better to me.

zain v.

Omg bthank you so much for the info! ive been trawling the internet trying to find this out for about two months! I'm buying the Esp Ltd MH-417B. Ive been holding off til now but definitely getting it now. Which make of strings do you use?

Pushead

My main guitars are all 24.75" scale, tuned to C standard.  I have the baritone set the same way (so tuned up a 1/2 step from standard).  I use .012 - .056 for all of them.

ESP Admin
zain v. wrote:

Can anyone give me a straight answer to whether or not you can tune a 7 string 27" baritone to standard E tuning preferably using 11's or 10's?

Thanks.

Hello Zain V.

Currently we use 10-56 gauge string sets on our seven string baritone models, which are tuned to BEADGBE. You should have no issue stringing your model with a similarly constructed string set. A set of 11s will also work but the setup will need to be altered, possibly including the altering of the nut.

Pushead, thank you for your input as well!

Pushead

You're welcome.  I will accept payment in the form of your Silverburst Eclipse. 

zain v.

Thanks for all the help! I put a deposit on the mh417b today. Arrives Friday!

Pushead

Awesome.  I think you'll dig it.

zain v.

Hope so. Never played 7 string so bit worried. 

Post to Thread