B-206SM action

Updated
Chris T.

Hello. I'm wondering if I can get a valid answer here. How low can the string action go on this particular bass? I keep reading reviews where people praise it's low string height, but how low is low? I require my action to be, at most, 1mm at the 24th fret across all strings. What is problematic on many non-custom basses is that either the bridge is set too high, or that the neck curve is wrong, or that strings simply fret out killing all sound. Please let me know if I can realistically set it to my preference. String noise/grind is understood and welcomed.

ESP Admin
Chris T. wrote:

Hello. I'm wondering if I can get a valid answer here. How low can the string action go on this particular bass? I keep reading reviews where people praise it's low string height, but how low is low? I require my action to be, at most, 1mm at the 24th fret across all strings. What is problematic on many non-custom basses is that either the bridge is set too high, or that the neck curve is wrong, or that strings simply fret out killing all sound. Please let me know if I can realistically set it to my preference. String noise/grind is understood and welcomed.

Hello Chris T.,

The required minimum action height from the factory for these basses will be 3/32" on the bass side, and 2/32" on the treble side. The action chosen for the factory setting is based on both comfort in play-ability, and achieving the maximum quality for tonal characteristics. This measurement is taken at the twelfth fret, from the top of the fret to the bottom of the string. We will always make sure there is enough room for the saddles to be lowered from this point, however the action is also affected in a major way through the adjustment of the truss rod and nut. The amount which the action can be adjusted to a lower point will differ on each individual instrument, as the tolerances are based on the factory specification for the action height. Often times however, the action is capable of being lowered to the point where the instrument may not be able to be played, where the strings will rest on the fret tops.

If you have the opportunity to purchase this instrument in person, we would recommend you request to have the action lowered to your preference to be sure you can achieve the setup you desire. 

Chris T.
ESP Admin wrote:

Hello Chris T.,

The required minimum action height from the factory for these basses will be 3/32" on the bass side, and 2/32" on the treble side. The action chosen for the factory setting is based on both comfort in play-ability, and achieving the maximum quality for tonal characteristics. This measurement is taken at the twelfth fret, from the top of the fret to the bottom of the string. We will always make sure there is enough room for the saddles to be lowered from this point, however the action is also affected in a major way through the adjustment of the truss rod and nut. The amount which the action can be adjusted to a lower point will differ on each individual instrument, as the tolerances are based on the factory specification for the action height. Often times however, the action is capable of being lowered to the point where the instrument may not be able to be played, where the strings will rest on the fret tops.

If you have the opportunity to purchase this instrument in person, we would recommend you request to have the action lowered to your preference to be sure you can achieve the setup you desire. 

If those are the minimum then I should be able to lower it further. I normally play more expensive custom basses and have them made so strings practically lay on the frets, but I do my own setups after purchase. I'll give this bass a try as I could use it in my arsenal. I hear only good things about it.

Thank you.

Post to Thread