ESP LTD M-1000 project

Updated
abel m.

so i bought a ltd m-1000 body for 150 that needs work. im planing to give it a paint job but my real problem right now is the floyd rose and the tuners. ik that it usally comes stock with an original floyd rose but in not sure if i can buy any used original floyed rose and itll fit. and as for the tuners i dont know what tuners will fit since i dont know the dimentions of the headstock. i would likw some help. what should i do? any recommendations oradvice? what will fit?

abel m.

Pushead

For the Floyd, any one with an R3 nut should work.  I'm always a bit hesitant to buy a bridge used, however.

The tuners are Grovers.

SunnyD

I would highly recommend getting some Gotoh MG-T Reverse 6 inline Locking tuners (which fit the grover tuner routes), and then a Gotoh GE1996T Licensed Floyd Rose (They only run about $120 brand new on Ebay, and they are much more ergonomic and IMO higher quality than the Original Floyd which costs about twice as much), it's a drop in replacement but since you don't have the stock floyd rose studs anymore, you might either have to route for the gotoh locking studs, or purchase floyd rose studs from allparts or stewmac. Also don't buy an R3 nut, the M-1000 and most floyd equipped ESPs come with an R2 nut stock. 

SunnyD

You can play it safe and get the 36mm block, the issue might be that if the block is too long, it will stick out of the cavity. My ESP Forest GT can fit a 40mm block, but get 36mm to be safe. The Gotoh is a drop in replacement, no mods needed. You'll also need a R2 locking nut, either a schaller one or a gotoh one will work. The studs from stewmac also work! Good luck man! While you're working on this project, might as well also sand down the glossy finish of the neck to make that M-1000 a shred machine. For pickups I would also recommend EMG 57/66 or Seymour Duncan Nazgul/Sentient sets. 

abel m.

If I were to buy a Gotoh GE1996T Licensed Floyd Rose would I have to modify the guitar in any way?

SunnyD

not at all!

load more replies (1 of 1)
ESP Admin
abel m. wrote:

so i bought a ltd m-1000 body for 150 that needs work. im planing to give it a paint job but my real problem right now is the floyd rose and the tuners. ik that it usally comes stock with an original floyd rose but in not sure if i can buy any used original floyed rose and itll fit. and as for the tuners i dont know what tuners will fit since i dont know the dimentions of the headstock. i would likw some help. what should i do? any recommendations oradvice? what will fit?

Hey Abel, 

Great to hear that this LTD will be revived!

The originally installed bridge was the Floyd Rose 1000 series, which is also available from Floyd Rose but matches the foot print of the Floyd Rose Original, allowing you to install either model of bridge. The R3 version of either model bridge should fit well on this guitar, as it is built with a 43mm nut shelf. The original tuners were Grover Mid-Size Mini Rotomatics, and there is a link below to a suggested set. Any standard size machine head will work, but it will also depend on your preference as to whether you wish to match the previous screw holes or create new ones. We hope this helps you to get started.

Please post a picture when you're finished!

http://www.wdmusic.com/medium_tuner_18:1_6_in_line_left_hand_black_chrome_305bcl6.html

Pushead

Mod beat me back.  Here's the tech specs on the Floyd Rose nuts.  R2 radius is a bit too round for the M1000.

The top on that guitar is fairly interesting looking.  Might be nice with just a simple tung oil finish.

Mark M.

Its a R2  Floyd Locking Nut un screw the two top screws on it and look on the back of the locking nut I guarantee its a R2

Original Floyd Rose or a Floyd Rose Special will work.

Grover 13/32 Tuners left handed style 

Good Luck

SunnyD

Yeah, be sure to go with an R2 nut, as always I would highly recommend that Gotoh Floyd and Gotoh locking nut as both are drop in replacements, as are the Gotoh MG-T locking tuners. Just need to buy those stock floyd studs off stewmac. Have fun with your new shredding machine!!! 

Pushead

Seems strange to put a narrow nut with a different radius on the guitar, but there must have been a reason they did it at the factory.

Post to Thread