ESP Alexi Laiho Scythe specifications?

Updated
Rolfan

Hi!

Bought an ESP Alexi Laiho Scythe from an authorized dealer in Norway a couple of years ago, serial number SS0706333

Browsing your product archives looking for specifications on the guitar, i couldn't seem to find the exact model in any of the catalogues. The 2009 appears to be the first one where the scythe-model appears, but it does not quite match the 2009-model nor any subsequent models.

Mine doesn’t have the "COBHC" on the back, the EMG has no visible poles and the hardware is ordinary nickel, not black nickel.

First of all i was wondering why i can't find the exact model on the site. Second, i was wondering if you could give me the specifications on the guitar, if any other than what i mentioned differ from the catalogues online.

Hope you can help

Road King

Most people don't realize this is the USA site. We didn't get the scythe model in 2007, so you won't see it in our catalogs. It was an export model that year. Go check out the catalogs on the Russian site.

Rolfan

The only Scythe-model on the russian page for discontinued models was the Scythe USA-model, so i'm none the wiser. 

Road King

I just saw it in the 2007 export catalog. You would have had the option to get the US or export shape. You probably have the standard model on page 31.

http://www.espguitars.ru/info/catalogs/katalog-esp-export-2007/

BlackJack21

There are two versions of the Scythe. The first ones were made in 2004 and were only available overseas, and weren't and still aren't for sale in the USA due to copyright laws with Jackson, since it was based off the Rhoads shape. These guitars are considered the RV (Rhoads Vee) models and can still be ordered through the custom shop but only outside the USA. Here are the specs ESP Alexi RV oversea models.

The USA versions became available 2009, and were built slightly different due to the copyright laws, so you'll notice the bottom fin on the guitar of the USA models are a bit larger than the Japan models. Here's the catalog ESP Alexi Scythe USA model.

Throughout the years they've slightly modified the guitar by switching the pickups from EMG HZ's to Alexi's Signature set (which have the poles), Removing the back spring plate, adding the ash tray battery pack, adding the signature on the headstock, and the very early models didn't have the booster switch. Only the USA versions come with the Black Nickel hardware, the Japan versions still use the standard Chrome hardware. Alexi will switch off with both versions live from time to time. Hope this helps.

Rolfan

Forgot about this thread, but thanks for the replies!  

I've always thought there were something off with the action on the guitar, so I removed the locking nut to see if there were any shims or anything else funky beneath it. I then noticed that it says "R2" on the nut.  On the pages you guys previously linked above i can't see anything about the radius on the fingerboard, but i've always asumed it was 305 mm / 12'' -  the same as all the USA Alexi signatue models.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but In reference to the FR locking nut table on FR's website i would think "R2" is the wrong nut and that i should have a "3"? Or possibly a "R3", i don't know if the "R" makes any difference. Or is the radius 254 mm / 10'' on the export model (mine)?

Edit: Now i see the "3" would be too wide, as the neck only is 42 mm at the nut. Does this mean i have to chose between the correct width or the correct radius?

Post to Thread