E-II Vintage Black with Gold EMGs - Way Too Bright

Updated
SonVoltMMA

I just got my E-II Vintage Black from Sweetwater that comes with the gold covered EMG 81/60s. I'm really not liking how bright and jangley these pickups are sounding compared to my M-II with the black plastic EMGs. Are the gold pickup covers causing this brightness? Surely it's not the guitar since being mahogany I would assume it would be darker than the alder bodied M-II. 

Has anyone else used these metal covered EMGs? 

Btw- the brushed finish has scratched off after about 10 minutes of play time. You can run your finger nail very lightly over the pickup cover and the coating will scratch off. Very disappointed in that regard. Otherwise I like the E-II.

LazNovak

What strings are you using? Replace the battery with a brand new one.

regis101proof

I have the exact same model and it sounds beautiful and thick not really bright at all 

SonVoltMMA
regis101proof wrote:

I have the exact same model and it sounds beautiful and thick not really bright at all 

I ended up selling it - I couldn't get rid of the fret buzz even with a professional setup. Have you noticed the Gold pickup covers scratching really easy?

Stefan A.

I received this guitar several days ago.. it is trully gorgeous I cannot stop looking at it, but definitely not flawless (thinking to point out the flaws I noticed with photos somewhere here in this forum).
The gold plates don't scratch off that easily, one of them is just a bit scratched which is hardly visible, you need to reflect light off it, but I think it will take a needle to do that.

Stefan A.

A bit of a followup:

The neck pickup satin cover DID get very easy to peal off at the area where I was touching it with my finger. Probably from the sweat. Now there is a 2cm area at the bottom of it that is glossy. No big deal, actually I kind of like how it is customized for me now, hehe.

Also here is a youtube video id I posted recently playing it (sorry not allowed to post links).
h_notnkFKt0

PS. I still frickin' love this guitar most. As a comparison I have a Ibanez Prestige, Schecter Blackjack SLS and a Gibson SG Special (but I am an amateur and play just for a hobby). Also I tried again the LTD at a store once I've played a bit more with the E-II. I can put it in this way: the E-II feels like an oiled version of the LTD and it looks much nicer.

Joost

If you dont like the pickups with cold covers. Then just swap out the pickups with ones that you actualy like. Problem solved 

Rikki Tikki Tavi

Not much help maybe and probs off topic but I have the black plastic EMG 81/60 on my E-II Eclipse. Mine sounds like a different guitar with a new battery and new strings. Try Daddario NYXL's, worked for me!

Post to Thread