Is Original the same as 'standard'?

Updated
dd1983

If E-II is LTD....(deluxe or elite? + £1000), then is 'Original' the new Standard? Or if not, is it better/worse?

My old SV's have SS serial numbers and Standard Series in a ring on the back of the headstock. That's what I look for on ebay when I'm window shopping.  What's on an 'original' headstock?

Cogan C.

No, Originals are the top-tier guitars that ESP manufactures for their production line. They're similar in quality to custom models, only without actually being custom. The logo on the back of the headstock features a global map with ESP Original Series stamped on it.

socaldreamer

So they are like the equivalent to Jackson USA Custom Select or Ibanez J Custom guitars right? 

Xander_X
socaldreamer wrote:

So they are like the equivalent to Jackson USA Custom Select or Ibanez J Custom guitars right? 

Yes and No.  Yes, they would probably technically be in the same class if you were to tier them, however ESP Original series are all hand made, while Jackson USA and Ibanez J Customs bodies and necks are CNC machined.  This doesn't make them bad by any means, however they don't have the time and effort into them that an ESP Original and Custom Order does.  

I would be more inclined to put the ESP Standard Series, Jackson USA, and Ibanez J Custom in the same boat.  All are CNC machined, and finished by hand. 

dd1983

Thanks for the reply - so is Original and USA the same, except original is made in Japan and USA is made in, well, USA? Or are they a level apart again? 

Secondly, do the USA models always say ESP USA at the 12th fret or does that vary model to model? 

Cogan C.

I don't really have any experience with the USA line, some others here might. I do know that some of the M-II's, Eclipses, and Horizon-II's don't have the ESP USA inlay, I'm not sure if that's an option if you order one or not though.

Post to Thread