ltd on 12 fret

Updated
Jeff P.

hey guys I have a question I have an LTD made my ESP it has ltd on 12 fret.  no numbers on the reverse headstock as Duncan design HSH pickups and Floyd Rose any help would be great

Jeff P.

Jeff P.

Pushead

What's the question?

Jeff P.

What model is it cuz it has Ltd on the 12th fret not  m or anything like that

Pushead

It's probably an old M-250.  I think they had dots in the late 90s.

Jeff P.

how come it doesn't say that on the 12th fret then

Pushead

They didn't do that back in the late 90s.  They just had LTD as the inlay.

98 Catalog

They show an M-250 in the catalog with dots and an LTD inlay, but with two single coils.  It's hard to tell from your pictures, does either the neck pickup look like it might have been enlarged, or does the center pickup look like it might have been added later?

Pushead

Or it could be the body from a 99, which had a H-S-H config with the neck of a 98.  Since someone has worked on it and removed the finish, it might not be possible to know for sure.

Jeff P.

right on thanks for your help man what do you think would be the resale on it not that I'm going to I use it as a backup and I put the EMG's in itthanks again

Pushead

Realistically, $200-300.  I've seen it on Cleveland's Craiglist, and knowing the buyers on there, probably the low side.  Possibly a bit more for the right buyer, but not likely.  With the finish stripped, I tend to shy away.

Jeff P.

right on thanks again man

jt76

LTD M3 - later became either the ltd 200 or ltd M250 i am not sure which since it did not ever officially appear in the catalogs -  would have been available between 1995-1998, the older ones would have the serial stamped on the fret board and it was later moved to the back of the headstock.  As far as i knownatural was not an avialable option so I believe that yours has probably been refinished.  

Mine is transparent blue.  

These orginal had a base list price of around $800 - in 1995 - I think transparent was an upgrade, and I would guess the middle pickup

was aslo considered an upgrade.  

There is an MII (M200) version of this upgraded with EMG 81 85 set selling for around $200  that is really good price.

High side for these would be $400 but that is a stretch. The build quailty substantiates that price, but the market for these does not. 

It's an excellent quailty guitar that is worth upgrading the pickups if it is for personal use.

But I would not spend money on it tying to turn it as an investment. 

I put Dimarzio's in mine and will eventually upgrade the electronics and probably put a gotoh or original floyd rose on it. 

Is currently got a paf 36th in the neck, a fast track in the middle, and a super distortion in the bridge,

This pickup set is prefect for classic rock, 80's hard rock and 80's pop metal which was my target goal for the sound of this guitar. 

Jeff P.

what is your saying the 12th fret and could you do a close up shot of it Thanks

Jeff P.

The guy who had it before me refinished it  he said it was transparent red I put the emgs 81/60 active pickups  it is a kick ass guitar i have 3 Gibson Les Paul Studio all have emg 81 85I play in a country rock band newer country Jason Aldean Brantley Gilbertname of the band of six string cowboy

jt76

It says  LTD on the 12th fret,  most of the LTD's guitars produced between 95 and 98 said LTD on the block at the 12th.

The exception to this a few early 95 models, the EXP and the L-2 ( Lynch shape)  only had double dots at the 12th,

The early models,  95 and 96 if I am correct had the serial number engraved at the 24th fret.  Later models had it as a stamp or transfer on

the back of the headstock.   The serial numbers from this era do not provide any usefull information.

Will post a picture when i get a chance.

Jeff P.

Thanks and have a Merry Christmas

Charlie J.

I JUST BOUGHT A 2017 LTD  M-50-FR AND ALTHOUGH IN CATALOG IT SHOWS A ID MARK ON 12TH FRET MINE DOESNT, WHY

Cogan C.

Chances are it's from the 2018 lineup. They've gotten rid of the 12th fret designation for the new series of guitars and put it on the truss rod cover instead.

Pushead

Yeah, they started removing the block inlays around September or October of 2017.

Charlie J.

THANKS ! FOR INPUT, HECK AT LEAST I KNOW NOW MINE ISNT SOME WASTE MISTAKE

Post to Thread