ESP Vintage Tuner Question

Updated
ESP Vintage Tuner Question

Sup Donkeys....

I would like locking tuners on me Vintage Plus.

Anybody know of a drop-in replacement, like maybe the Fenders?  Anyone actually perform the swap instead of communicating from one's anoos?

Thanks in advance!

These ones:

Pushead

Sorry man, no experience with the vintage style replacements.

Gfunk

Gotoh Magnum locking machine heads are a direct replacement, no drilling and no bushing replacement.  $59 at Amplified Parts.  Not quite the heft of Sperzels, but the ratio is much finer.  That is all.

Kevin K.

Hey Kevin here, I saw  your  ESP guitar and i am in need of some tuners. I hope you dont mind me asking but if you still have those esp tuners will you sell them? Thanks

Gfunk
Kevin K. wrote:

Hey Kevin here, I saw  your  ESP guitar and i am in need of some tuners. I hope you dont mind me asking but if you still have those esp tuners will you sell them? Thanks

Surely.

Pushead

Yes, I like the new version of the Gotoh Magnum as well (I only have the 3+3 sets.) I think they're probably heavier than a set of Sperzels but I find them quite a bit more precise for tuning.

metalhobo

i like the old magnum locks without the big stupid locking knob on the back. I don't know who was the first to use a thumb knob like that (maybe sperzel or schaller) but it seriously is such a stupid design.

edit: it's schaller who originally patented the design

Gfunk
metalhobo wrote:

i like the old magnum locks without the big stupid locking knob on the back. I don't know who was the first to use a thumb knob like that (maybe sperzel or schaller) but it seriously is such a stupid design.

Why?  IMO the design that you put a coin or a flathead in worked better simply using a string winder, on and off. 

This way, no tools needed except to snip.

metalhomo, me thinks you have conflict in your life.............

metalhobo

the lock thumb knobs come loose too easily. with the old style the lock couldn't come loose because the string tension kept the mechanism clamped.

I never really understood the fascination with "no tools" in regards to string changing. I use all kinds of tools when changing strings. why would you not have tools when changing strings? are you changing strings on stage? why did you not bring a backup guitar? of course most of my guitars have floyds/kahlers so I'm probably desensitized.

Gfunk

That is strange, I have never had a thumb screw come loose on any locking tuner I have ever owned (Schaller, Gotoh, or Sperzel).

Of course you have a back up guitar on stage, but not needing any tools sure comes in handy when you do need to quickly change a string in a dark confined space.

Floyds and Fahlers = Ghey

Nathan S.

I have the old style Gotohs in my Eii that have the slot that you have to hold with something and try to turn the tuner at the same time while try to maintain enough pressure on whatever you have in the slot so it doesn't slip and strip out the groove. I absolutely hate them!! Biggest pieces of $hit!!! Gimme Sperzels any day!

metalhobo
Nathan S. wrote:

I have the old style Gotohs in my Eii that have the slot that you have to hold with something and try to turn the tuner at the same time while try to maintain enough pressure on whatever you have in the slot so it doesn't slip and strip out the groove. I absolutely hate them!! Biggest pieces of $hit!!! Gimme Sperzels any day!

you're doing it wrong. you just put the string in the tuner and then turn the key, which in turn locks the mechanism and then starts tuning to pitch. you only need to use the slot when you're removing strings in order to loosen the locking mechanism. i'm not sure how you got confused, it's pretty simple.

Road King

I used to hate the Gotoh Magnums that first came out on the ESPs like 10 years ago. These new ones are a definite improvement.

Gfunk

10 year old style:

Moar tuner pics, Yaay!

Looks like that head stock could use a wipe.

Gfunk

One for the Metallifags:

Jack J.

It's great

Lisa N.

Get professional help to promote your business Law Firm SEO Expert at https://lawfirmseoexpert.co/. He will provide your website with the most relevant and customized strategies. He will analyze, identify trends and put all efforts for your great success. You just have to try his help as it is a great chance to lead your business to success.

Post to Thread