I need some help on learning new songs...

Updated
I need some help on learning new songs...

So I started playing guitar about 15 months ago and I was doing great up until about mid Fall of last year. I was learning songs that were at my level, but one day I started trying much harder songs that were just out of my reach, but I was oblivious to it until about the beginning of March this year. I realized my playing was growing much worse and I lost all motivation and heart for it. I tried learning a few easy solos and stuff, but none of it could really get me into it. On April 19th though, I decided to learn September by EWAF. I've been really enjoying my guitar again and I've been learning barre chords and a lot of other chords due to this song. But back to my question is, where do I go after I learn September? I've been planning on learning either Smoke on the water by Deep Purpleor Down under by Men at work, but what should I learn after I learn those two songs? If you guys could give me a list of easier songs that'll gradually build me up to an intermediate player I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm into all sorts of genres from blues to funk to metal, so have at it!

Talon

Some simple, yet fun songs to play IMO are:

Enter Sandman

Iron Man (actually, a lot of Sabbath is simple powerchords)

Symphony of Destruction

As far as learning solos, I'd recommend using a metronome and slowing it down. You're not going to nail a solo at speed perfectly early on. I'd start at half speed and work your way up.

Stonecat

Why not just take lessons? Pay a teacher for the instruction 1/2 hour a week. Do your homework practice all week and be ready for your next lesson. This system has worked forever. The individual attention to your playing and progress is essential. Then you'll learn all about scales, modes, circle of fifths, break down chords, keys and what scales to play over them etc. ect. It's worth looking into IMHO.

Skilletfan

I live in the middle of nowhere. The closest teachers is an hour and a half away and online lessons are just out of the question for my budget.

Stonecat

Try learning "Sleeping In The Fire" by W.A.S.P.  It's basically a power chord song & the solo isn't that hard. It will give you a good lesson in string bending/tapping.  Tab is easily found online. Above all have fun.

slab

Two words. Stadium Arcadium. There are some brilliantly written yet fairly simple tunes to play on both discs.

sabir r.

Thanks

Alaina O.

Search on google for the best songs & try those.

Jeff W.

I cant read a bit of sheet music but if i see it i can copy it....youtube!!!!!!  

Anthony J. Lane

Hi Skilletfan, Nowadays you can find out how to playing guitar over in the online platform. I can suggest you in your Intermediate level  If you can Learn hard rock and heavy metal musician guitar lessons So This blog perfect for you. I am also a new Guitar learners hope you will also help me to share your Guitar learning knowledge with me on this forums.

ankit

thanks a lot

ankit

i always love this amazing post .

ankit

very good

kislly z.

I like your life.

Laura W.

Oh i had the same problems

XY-SAT

2 year old post? Geez man I hope you're still playing. 

Learn your scales, chromatic,  pentatonic, melodic etc. Then learn chord progressions, do it night and day, then combo a bassline(E or drop D) with the scales/progressions or bar chord.       

Sarah F.

How have you been doing with the guitar, learning new songs, two years on? How is your progress, what did you do right, what would you change. And most importantly - has it been fun?

Leo N.

So cute story.

Post to Thread