• Big Daddy B

Guns

Anyone else here into them?

• Craig

I grew up around guns and have carried one type or another as a "tool of the trade" during my time in the Marine Corps and law enforcement career and into retirement for nearly 40 years.  

• Big Daddy B

Cool man. It's a new hobby of mine for 2017. Recreational shooting. I have a modest aresenal so far. Walther P22 Target, S&W 686 3-5-7 edition 5" barrel, and a glock 19 Gen4 Talo edition with night sights. Next up is a Steyr AUG A3 M1.

• Craig

I don't know much about the Walther, but the S&W 686 is a good weapon.  I have a 2 1/2" model 66 that I bought for my wife that I shoot occasionally.  And I was issued a 4" model 66 as my first duty weapon (common at the time) for 4 years until we were authorized to carry semi-autos.  I carried a S&W Model 469 9mm for a couple of year, then switched to a Sig Sauer P220 .45 (which I still occasionally carry).  Our agency then mandated that everyone carry .40 weapons for uniformity.  The first one was an agency specific Beretta Model 96, then plain clothes agents had the option of switching to an H&K .40 Compact.  After several years, we switched again to an agency specific Sig Sauer Model 229, with the Glock Model 26 as an option for backup.  I carry the Glock 26 most of the time and it's the one I do my annual qualification with.  At times I can the P220 or my AMT .40 Backup when I need something very small for maximum concealability

Let me know what you think of the Steyr Aug.  I was issued a Steyr Aug P (fully auto version) for the last several years before I retired.  Having been accustomed to open sight rifles (M-16, Mini 14, M4 and H&K MP5), it took a short period of time to get accustomed to the Steyr's optics.    Once I got used to it, I really liked it.  Very reliable and accurate, even with 3 round bursts on fully auto.

• Big Daddy B

I don't know much about the Walther, but the S&W 686 is a good weapon.  I have a 2 1/2" model 66 that I bought for my wife that I shoot occasionally.  And I was issued a 4" model 66 as my first duty weapon (common at the time) for 4 years until we were authorized to carry semi-autos.  I carried a S&W Model 469 9mm for a couple of year, then switched to a Sig Sauer P220 .45 (which I still occasionally carry).  Our agency then mandated that everyone carry .40 weapons for uniformity.  The first one was an agency specific Beretta Model 96, then plain clothes agents had the option of switching to an H&K .40 Compact.  After several years, we switched again to an agency specific Sig Sauer Model 229, with the Glock Model 26 as an option for backup.  I carry the Glock 26 most of the time and it's the one I do my annual qualification with.  At times I can the P220 or my AMT .40 Backup when I need something very small for maximum concealability

Let me know what you think of the Steyr Aug.  I was issued a Steyr Aug P (fully auto version) for the last several years before I retired.  Having been accustomed to open sight rifles (M-16, Mini 14, M4 and H&K MP5), it took a short period of time to get accustomed to the Steyr's optics.    Once I got used to it, I really liked it.  Very reliable and accurate, even with 3 round bursts on fully auto.

The Walther P22 is your typical 22. Somewhat finicky on ammo but does well with CCI mini mags and 22LR ammo is a bargain. it is fun to shoot. The grip is a bit on the small side for me but it is comfortable. Would be a good gun for those with smaller hands. I got the 5 inch barrel with nickel slide but it can be retrofitted to a 3.5" if I remove the stabilizer. The version I have is the CA compliant so it is not threaded for a suppressor but I felt like it would be a waste of money getting a tax stamp to suppress a .22. I fitted it with a laser sight though. I might eventually get a suppressor for the Glock.

This is the Steyr that I am looking at. It is a limited edition from K-Var: http://www.k-var.com/shop/SAI-AUG-TIGERSTRIPE-NATO-1.5x.html I also like the white version but felt it might be tough to keep clean!

• Big Daddy B

Craig,

The Steyr arrived and looks badass. It's really comfortable to shoulder as well. Haven't shot it yet. Not sure when I will but will report back.

• Road King

Craig,

The Steyr arrived and looks badass. It's really comfortable to shoulder as well. Haven't shot it yet. Not sure when I will but will report back.

Nice call of duty gun. \m/

• Stonecat

The tiny .17HMR has become a favorite. It's amazing what the hollow points will do to water bottles. Not much $ for a box of 50 rounds.

• Big Daddy B

tell me about it. I just got a cabinet. gonna cost a fortune to stock it.

• CannibalChris

I have several, my favorite being my Sig Sauer P226 9mm.

• Road King

I have a couple of Glocks, a PPK, an H&K, and a Benelli shotgun. I have some night sights, a streamlight, and a green laser.

I used to own a Desert Eagle, but it wasn't practical. I may get a rifle at some point, but the attachments are quite pricey.

• BroKV

Carry a Sig P320C everyday

May favorite, my Les Baer Hard Chrome SRP

• Big Daddy B

Any AR owners out there have thoughts on the Colt LE6920? I am looking at that as my next potential purchase.

• Cogan C.

I own a Bushmaster XM-15 and it's a phenomenal firearm. Had it for around 10 years now, shot a few thousand rounds through it

and only jammed once from a poorly manufactured round. I've fired the LE66920 and I was very impressed with it and it's nearly

identical to the XM-15 in almost every way. The only reason I went with Bushmaster is that it was cheaper than the Colt at the time.

If you can afford either one, you won't be dissapointed in it at all.

• Big Daddy B

I'm leaning colt but may research the bushmaster as well. My buddy down in Phoenix is looking at a S&W M&P15. It's a about a third cheaper. My boss has one of those and loves it. Mil-spec.

• Road King

I'm looking at Colts as well. I usually just go with what the military uses.

• BroKV

Ruger SR556 is my favorite production model, otherwise I build my own.

There's a newer AUG clone that should finally hit the states this year called the Atrax by Lithgow Arms that looks very promising.  Should sell well after everyone passes on the MDR vaporware in the bullpup market.

• Road King

I sold my black shotgun and Glock and got dark earth / tan replacements. They were good and worn out anyways. I may do the same with my HK (I found a gorgeous burnt bronze), not sure yet.

• Big Daddy B

I sold my black shotgun and Glock and got dark earth / tan replacements. They were good and worn out anyways. I may do the same with my HK (I found a gorgeous burnt bronze), not sure yet.

Looks good. When I get around to picking up an AR, I am looking at the Dark Earth Colt. Kinda surprised you didn't find a camo option given your affinity for things camo.

• Road King

Looks good. When I get around to picking up an AR, I am looking at the Dark Earth Colt. Kinda surprised you didn't find a camo option given your affinity for things camo.

Sadly, camo wasn't an option from the factory. The tan stuff is nice though. Black is getting kind of boring.

Cancel