How did you learn legato technique and what exercises do you frequently use?

Updated
How did you learn legato technique and what exercises do you frequently use?

I've been trying to develop my legato technique for about six months using various lessons from the internet. I feel like I'm not improving. Surely I need to practice more and have more patience, but in your experience what exercises and lessons worked for you when learning and developing your legato technique?

Steven Mal

Thanks! I know all my major, minor, pentatonic scales and all the modes but sometimes I get discouraged when I don't see any progress. I need to be more patient but I'm just worried that I'm wasting my time with poor, inefficient practice. I don't have anyone else to jam with but I do use backing tracks.

Stevie Strings

Look for a good teacher, and don't sign on with then until you see/hear them play. If you like what they are doing, that's your starting point. 

Any way you look at it, like the answers or not, this will require effort on your part.

Not all teachers are good, and their idea of what you want to learn and their ability to teach it to you, might just not be there.

Interview your teacher, agree on goals... Go from there best of luck!

Larry g.

BTW - if you have in fact mastered the technique, and the problems are musical, my advice would be listen to and repeat phrases from records you like by ear. Get away from scales and patterns.

Larry g.

Honestly, I never realized I had a legato technique until others pointed it out. I was only trying to compensate for my weak alternate picking abilities. But here I am, a legato player. sy0-401 comptia real exam questions

Post to Thread