Opinions on buying chipped/dinged guitars

Updated
Opinions on buying chipped/dinged guitars

I found a good deal on a chipped/dinged/scratched guitar and pulled the trigger. It is mostly paint damage and no serious damage. But I don't know how I feel about it. What are your opinions? Would you buy guitars in such condition?

Kjetil (GRIM) Remen

I don't know if I would. It depends on what guitar it was and how much it was. Cosmetic damage can be fixed but I would hope that it did not have any other fault's.

Pushead

I have.  To me it's a balance between the location and severity of the damage vs the price and how much I want the guitar. But I also play my guitars out and in band settings where they'll experience some amount of wear.  I know not everyone has those same values/opinions with their instruments.  I know plenty of people that want it to stay prestine and keep the guitar in the case and never wear a belt while playing.  But that's not me.  I take care of the guitar, but understand that dings scratches happen.

Nathan S.

I've only bought 2 brand new guitars, everything else has been bought used. So everything I have has minor dings and scratches. No big deal to me, I don't care if my stuff is 100% pristine or not.

Road King

Pics of the guitar?

If I pay a fair price, light pick scratches are ok, but dings and chips in the paint bug me. Plenty of mint condition used guitars out there. But a really good deal on a guitar with dings is not so bad sometimes.

slab

Yeah, fender charges 5k for those. 

ESP 348

I don't know, it's a crazy topic isn't it.

I LOVE my guitars to be mint condition, but I would also love to own a beat up and trashed guitar that is 50 years old.

But I would also never buy one, does that make sense? Lol

Perhaps if someone gave me one, I would be happy to own it. But I wouldn't buy one.

And in saying that, one of my favourite ESP guitars in my KH Vintage. I absolutely love that guitar.

ESP 348

Forum member Stu is currently selling a black 79 Les Paul that is beat to shit and it looks AMAZING!!!!

That guitar has so much 'patina' on it, or wear and tear *whatever you want to call it*, it is certainly a work of art.

I would love to buy it, but I just can't bring myself to pay anything for a guitar like that. lol

I will see if I can find pics of it and will post them up here.

AK

Here is the guitar. I haven't received it yet. But I found it for almost half the price of what they usually go for, and price included express shipping. What do you think?

Breadfan32

I remember seeing that guitar.  Looks cosmetic only.  Hopefully it plays and sounds great.  You can use that as one of your main playing guitars and not have to worry about keeping it mint.  

Seems like you already have some mint guitars AK.  I like my guitars mint but sometimes it's good having one that isn't because it can be more enjoyable to play since you aren't worried about keeping it mint.  

ESP 348

What do I think?

I think you should buy that guitar!! Looks great!

And find out what else is in those ESP guitar cases too please.

Road King

Paint has been touched up. White is an easy repaint if you decide to do that.

Pushead

At the price he paid, I would have felt comfortable buying that guitar.

AK

Thanks guys for your comments I am now awaiting for it to arrive. I think I will be very happy with it once it arrives. \m/

Gfunk

What year is it?

Just curious.

AK

It's 2008.

ESP 348

Be sure to post more pics when it arrives please AK!

AK

I sure will

Post to Thread