Hai guiz! 'Member me???

Updated
Hai guiz! 'Member me???

Whussup party people. It's been quite a while since I've posted here, some of you more tenured members may remember me but I'm sure there's plenty of you guys going "who the fucks this guy?"

I'm just a 25 year old from Ohio who loves music and ESP's

For those that do remember me, I hope everyone has been well. I'm sure I've missed out on some big stuff in the last few years.

Uh, well, here's the lastest recording I've done. A buddy of mine is a growing rapper in the area so I had him do some verses on this, we wrote it together. It was written about all the shootings and hostile vehavior lately.

For all you studio buffs, let me know what you think about the mix. I've been trying to tighten it up a bit.

Etrenal - Protest

Pushead

Can't say that I particularly remember you, but first-post spam is rarely a good start/return to a forum situation.

In terms of the tune, it's certainly timely.  If you and your friend are looking at getting some traction with this recording, it'll need some more work.  As a demo, it might get you an audience with a producer looking at putting together some positive message stuff.

If you're looking for suggestions, consider revising your bass sound and drum samples.  Also, consider using the full stereo spectrum when panning instead of having everything hard left and right.

ESPchris91

Hey pus! You, Nate, Sjuge, and a few others were usually the ones helping me with recordings. I was around during Skin N Bones getting ran out, and did a recording with Losing Reality. I'm the one that had the "Post your rides" thread that stuck around.

Thanks for the advice man. As far as the stereo spectrum, what do you think I have panned too wide? The bass tone is literally a cheap Rondo music 5 string through a pocket pod so I'm not sure I can get it much better than that. What style drums would fit this? It's just my same old preset I've been using for a while but with sample delay on one side.

Normally I just record metal stuff but I'm trying to get better about venturing into other genres. My rig kinda sucks though lol I'm literally recording on a 2007 MacBook with GarageBand, Addictive Drums demo and Recab demo . The guitar is just a Agile Les Paul copy and pocket POD running an impulse program, and some Sennheiser mic for vocals.

I haven't posted here in a couple years, but I used to post all my recordings here because this forum literally got my recordings to this quality (not that I think it's good, just better than my old stuff). I'm not trying to spam anyone with anything. I just wanted advice on my recording. 

Pushead

Oh yeah, LOL.  That rings a bell.

I think it's the verse where the panning sounds strange to me.  Maybe because it's so open.  From the open of the song, it's fairly straight forward, but once the first note on the piano hits, it sounds like the mono tracks from the drums splits and gets hard panned, especially the snare.  The snare gets louder (doubled) and comes from hard left and right instead of centered.  Did you duplicate the track somehow?  Typically doing that would keep it sounding centered, but it sounds like everything is doubled.  The crash is coming out of the left, which is the only part of the kit that doesn't sound doubled.

The snare and kick sounds aren't bad, especially for a hip-hop, "beat" feel.  I'd find a way to make the roll sound better, whether that's by a velocity change on the even numbered hits (the left hand) or seeing if your sequencer/sample player gives an option for alterating hits.  It should help it feel a bit more natural.  The "jingle bells" which keep time through the whole verse are just too consistent.  It sounds like a midi sample to me (which is probably is.)  I don't know if a closed hat sound would work better or not, maybe shifting it up halfway through the verse?  Change the element that's carrying the time?

In my (not very wide) experience with a pop / hip-hop feel, I'd want a more funk sounding bass line.  Especially in the parts where it's carrying the whole melody of the song.  I'd try to get a bit tighter in the bottom EQ (you want the boom, but maybe not as farty sounding), and get some more of the top end crispness.  As just a shot in the dark, try pulling out some of the 220Hz frequency and see what adding some 1000Hz does in the mix.

The Piano sounds alright.  It was a bit strange to me to have the bass line in my left ear and the treble on the right.  In the first verse, it helps to fill in the space.  But it would sound more natural (to me) if you kept the bass line panned at like 50% left and the treble at 15-20% left.  Let the piano sit on the left side of the mix.  Coming into the second verse, you've got a good sounding guitar sustaining a note and then falling out.  Maybe consider letting the guitar sustain the root note of the chords through the verse?  Or maybe have a half-dirty Fender type sound comping the chord or something.

I don't know.  It's advice nearly worth what you've paid for it.  Consider it the ramblings of a grumpy old guy.

BroKV

Ah, yes

LOL

What's up bitches

Pushead

Whoa, a wild BroKV appears!  Hi! 

BroKV

What's up my friend. I see this place is still clinging to life. 

Pushead

It still has a weak pulse.  It'll never be what it was, but such is life.

How are things in AZ?

ESPchris91

Thanks pus, I'll mess around with it this weekend and see what I can come up with.

And damn, I didn't realize I used "LOL" for that long. Sup dudes!

So, I gotta ask. What happened to this place? The general discussion forum used to be more active than a slutty college girls Snapchat

BroKV

Az is awesome, the heat is what it is. How's the band doing?

Pushead

Dying a slow, painful death.

metalhobo

this thread makes me a sad panda

Pushead

I remember that line from the old Dragon Warrior game, but apparently it's in The Pokemons, too?

ESPchris91

What I want to know is if we'll find a wild Ozzf(a/u)n, or Jet, or Boogie lurking around from time to time

Hmouth

I would actually love to know what became of the Boogie, him and a few others were very entertaining in a warped way.

rwright64

Man, I havnt been around here in 8 years maybe? Its so different! This was the geatest forum on the internet in its day! You think Boogie is even alive???

rwright64

Its all starting tp come now!

XY-SAT

Post to Thread