This is not the forum I remember

Updated
This is not the forum I remember

wow.  drop in just to see what's up on the esp boards these days and everything has changed.

well, to those of you I used to know I say Hey and those I've yet to meet..... Hey.  

metalhobo

i remember wilas101

wilas101_again

Thanks metalhobo. I almost resigned myself to not coming back after the warm welcome above.  Glad I decided to sleep on it.  

How are you these days?

slab

GG1 is a dolphin lover and doesn't understand they are meant to be eaten until extinction.

tx-ogre

Hey wilas101_again.  Welcome back.  Don't let the negative responses of some people shape your opinion about the current forum. There are quite a few good people here.

wilas101_again

Road King, your comment struck me as being pretty pissy at the time and I'm guessing the others read it the same way but I'm not aware of what happened here before I came along so maybe comments about the place changing were irritating.  /shrug  I'm willing to chalk it up to misunderstading and/or frustration.  Heck, we all have enough crap to deal with daily and I'm willing to bet none of us really want to deal with more online.  I know I don't.  

As far as I'm concerned, RK, you made up for everything with the depeche ala mode comment in my other thread.  

I just wanted to check in here, see if anyone I knew were still roaming about and find out how everyone is doing.  I certainly didn't want to create dissension.  I'm too old and don't have nearly enough energy for all that.  LOL

RZK

Is this it? Are we having a real discussion?

wilas101_again

It's just a practice run for the REAL real discussion.

RZK

Okay, good. I want to be prepared for when that discussion is discussed.

tx-ogre
RZK wrote:

Is this it? Are we having a real discussion?

Not really.  Despite responses from wilas101_again and myself pointing out RK's apparent lack of social skills in his earlier response to the forum, he still seems to be confused.  Any further response on my part would obviously be a waste of time.

wilas101_again

Also, note that at the end of my post I was inviting you to stay so we could get to know you.

Yes you did. It actually confused the hell out of me but I think we're on the same page now. Lol

In the interest of promoting that:

Hi, I'm wilas101_again.  I'm 46, I play guitar very poorly but keep doing it anyway just to annoy my wife. I work in IT and am about to move from Missouri to Wyoming because.... well, when you think rock and roll don't ya think Wyoming?  I enjoy short walks on the beach because I'm too fat for long ones and am pretty sure me and road king will be best friends before long.   

In all seriousness I haven't been very active, musically, for a while, felt like changing that and came back here because it was the only community I ever participated in.

tx-ogre

46?  You're a spring chicken compared to me...LOL.  Good luck on your move to Wyoming.  I bid on some transfers/promotions to Cheyenne and Casper about 20 years ago, but never made the move.  I was born and raised in the Twin Cities area so I experienced severe winters, but haven't had to deal with a northern winter in over 30 years.  Not having to operate snow shovels or snow blowers definitely works for me.  But if I did have to deal with winters, Wyoming would definitely be a place I would consider.  Beautiful country.

Nathan S.

Hope your not moving to Wyoming for anything relating to the coal industry there. May want to change your plans if so.

wilas101_again

Nah, doing security updates to VA facility end points & systems.  Contract gig so while not permanent it will give the mrs and I a chance to explore, do some camping/hunting/fishing, etc. while figuring out exactly where we would like to settle.

Nathan S.
wilas101_again wrote:

Nah, doing security updates to VA facility end points & systems.  Contract gig so while not permanent it will give the mrs and I a chance to explore, do some camping/hunting/fishing, etc. while figuring out exactly where we would like to settle.

Cool. Wyoming is a good state to do all those things in.

slab

Well, welcome back, .....

But this place can go a week without a post.

There is no community or lulz. 

Even if an old member drops by, they quickly disappear. 

wilas101_again

So what happened to this place?  No lulz is no good.

Nathan S.
wilas101_again wrote:

So what happened to this place?  No lulz is no good.

I was around when the old forum existed but was not very active on here back then, so I'm not really sure what the whole story is. I think if I remember right when the announcement of the new forum coming was made I think alot of people were upset that the old forum threads were not going to carry over. And I think ESP has also really clamped down on what is acceptable forum content as well. 

From what I remember of the old forum, I think it was really kind of an anything goes forum and alot of people I think we're upset that there was going to be some rules and moderating of the new forum to keep content acceptable. I think another thing people were mad about was losing all the old forum content, there was alot of good info there that has been lost. Along with alot of cool photos of people's collections. 

Maybe I'm way off base, but that's kinda my take on the situation. All I know is this forum really is dead, and it would be nice if there was better participation. I've learned alot from both forums, they are great tools, but the activity in the new one is really very stagnant compared to the old one.

therealzomess

I don't think it was so much the new rules, as its understandable that a company wouldn't want to be associated with the shit we got away with, as much as it was the way they were enforced.  There was no "hey guys, behave" it was just instant banning from some douchebag cool uncle that nobody had ever heard of.  ESP could have probably made the change and retained a lot of the community if they had done it with an ounce of sense.

I don't know if the community would have lasted anyway.  We're all old now with shit to do and younger kids aren't into this type of communication.  nohomo but there were old bonds though.  I've "known" people here for like 15 years.  Activity would have died down but I probably also wouldn't be replying to a 6 month old comment on the front page that nobody will read.

metalhobo
therealzomess wrote:

I don't think it was so much the new rules, as its understandable that a company wouldn't want to be associated with the shit we got away with, as much as it was the way they were enforced.  There was no "hey guys, behave" it was just instant banning from some douchebag cool uncle that nobody had ever heard of.  ESP could have probably made the change and retained a lot of the community if they had done it with an ounce of sense.

I don't know if the community would have lasted anyway.  We're all old now with shit to do and younger kids aren't into this type of communication.  nohomo but there were old bonds though.  I've "known" people here for like 15 years.  Activity would have died down but I probably also wouldn't be replying to a 6 month old comment on the front page that nobody will read.

don't poiddance this thread hemomessiah

Nathan S.

Well looks like 2 of us read it haha

metalhobo

Well first if you remember there was the whole "new" vBulletin board that replaced the old one in I think early 2013. That didn't go over well since basically the whole archive of the General Discussion board was lost. At this point there was a sizable exodus from the board, but there was still a fair amount of traffic. Then, they nixed that whole thing and moved to this new board in late 2013. That's when we lost the majority of people. The first iteration of this new board was pretty user unfriendly and hard to navigate. Not to mention, all the General Discussion archive was gone. The message board software has improved, so it's not so bad anymore, but no one really came back. So, here we are.

That being said, in the last 3-4 years or so, I've seen a large abandonment of internet message boards in general. It seems most people are more interested in posting on Facebook, or reddit, or whatever. Whatever.

This is a great point I hadn't considered.  The old "post and wait" mantra has been replaced with instant attention whore BS with click validation across multiple formats.  That model doesn't really interest me as I grow older, and seems as a generalization that a lot of others are in a similar boat.  Tough times for the marketing folks when they abandon a core demographic and can't explain where they went months/years afterwards.

Gfunk
slab wrote:

GG1 is a dolphin lover and doesn't understand they are meant to be eaten until extinction.

Tondog

I'm with slab on that one btw. If they're so fuckin smart....why do they get scarfed up in tuna nets to be eaten in sushi bars in Japan?

Post to Thread