West brand guitars?

Updated
906Riffs

I found two very interesting Explorer style guitars on ebay, the seller claims they are made by Hondo.

Anyone know what year they might be, and if they're any good? They have a strat style trem bridge and neck, and a tele style control plate.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172120507872?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

jt76

If they were made by Hondo those were most likely made in korea,

Early Hondo's were made in japan and were decent guitars, nothing amazing, but durable and playable.  

I don't know about the quality when manufacturing shifted to korea.   Probably still fairly good.

I would put them in with korean made epiphones, as far as quality and value.

Probably worth about $100 to $200 per guitar.   There are a lot of other guitars that would be a much better buy.

906Riffs

Thanks! I emailed them and they won't go under 250 so I guess I'll have to pass.

It's a shame too, since the tele style plate looks so cool and it looks to be a standard Strat neck bolt pattern.

EDIT: They got back to me and said they would do 225... 

Think it would be a good buy? They physically appear to be in good shape. I'd be fully prepared to replace the tuners and block the trem if tuning was an issue.

jt76

Thats what I would expect to pay in a music store. So not terribly over priced.  they are unusual so basically they are worth what you want to pay for them.  Based on the hondos I have played.  I would think they would be good usable guitar for that price.  but  not a good investment as these will probably not increase in value.   If you like them I would say go for it.  I have bought guitars similar to these because I liked the unique features.  I was usually happy with my purchase.  Early asian made guitars are generally undervalued and well made.   

906Riffs

Well that works out, since it turns out the seller is a music store in California!

I'm gonna pull the trigger on it as soon as they get back to me. Managed to get them to throw in a few goodies with it too.

Post to Thread