My future guitar hangin wall

Updated
My future guitar hangin wall

So I think I've mentioned in other threads that I have been working on finishing my basement, which has really put a crimp on my guitar buying for a while. But, it'll be worth it in the end. Anyways, at this point it is all framed, wired, plumbed, and insulated.

I have completed a bedroom down there for my son, and am now moving on through the rest of the basement. Next up is to sheet rock the bathroom and rec room, then complete the bathroom. 

So, before sheetrocking the rec room I installed my backers in the wall that I intend to hang my guitars on once completed. This way, I don't have to search for studs to screw guitar hangers to.

Nathan S.

Thought I'd give an updated pic. Drywalled and textured.

Nathan S.

Curious if anyone has used this guitar hanger rail from string swing?? Looks like your guitars would be hanging out quite a ways on what appears to be a pretty small diameter piece of steel? 

https://www.stringswing.com/product/sw5rl-5-instrument-hanger-system

Pushead

I'm not a fan of the hangers that stick that far out from the wall.  There is quite a bit more torque being exerted on the contact points in the slat wall plate.

Add to that, the screw connection to allow the angle it hangs and there's too many points of failure for me.

I have 6 guitars hung on these:

https://www.stringswing.com/product/cc01-hardwood-home-studio-guitar-hanger

They're mounted directly into studs, haven't had any issues with the hanger pulling away from the wall.

Nathan S.

That's what I was originally planning on going with, as I already have 2 of them in use right now. But, I kinda like the system Professor has on page 1 that you can angle the guitars, and maybe gain a little more space. As of now I'm up to 11 and would like to be able to hang them all on 1 wall which I'm not sure if I will have enough room if I hang them with the flat string swing hangers. However, I am worried about them hanging out so far with the angle hangers. That's just that much more leverage working against the weld on the bracket. Well, I've got a while to decide still before I'm at that point. I'm not concerned with anchoring the slat all rail as I have plenty of lumber in the wall to screw to. Just worried about the welds holding up.

Nathan S.

Hey Pus, see my NGD thread. Do you know anything about MV200'S? ?

Pushead

I'd have to compare them in person, but I think the type the kind Professor is using looks to be a bit more rugged than what String Swing is offering.  Might be an optical illusion, but they look to be a shorter distance from the wall as well.

The angle adjustment screw on the String Swing hangers really worries me.

metalhobo

Y'all should keep your guitars safely in their cases

Nathan S.
metalhobo wrote:

Y'all should keep your guitars safely in their cases

I've thought about continuing doing that as well. But a big part of my enjoyment of guitars is that I enjoy just looking at them as much as playing them. That's part of why I have so many, I just simply love guitars. It's certainly not because of my mad shred skills lol. So, I want to put up a cool display of them. There is that part of me though that says just leave them in the cases so you don't come home some day and find them all on the floor all busted up hahaha, that would suck!!!

Tondog

Yup...that's my conundrum as well. I don't mind just looking at them sometimes.

Big Daddy B

Why don't y'all just go with some rack stanks instead of hanging them.

Nathan S.

I've thought about that too Big Daddy, but really don't want to lose the floor space.

Road King

I used to keep my guitars on a big stand, but I have more than 7 now. So I keep my guitars in their cases. Saves room and the guitars don't get dust on the headstocks.

Nathan S.

Well the guitar wall is drywalled, textured and primed. Probably be painted this weekend. Been focusing on trying to get the downstairs bathroom done. Still probably a ways out on the rec room completion as the drop ceiling and carpeting are gonna be a pretty penny. Anyways, I know this isn't a builder enthusiasts forum, but sometimes it's cool to see what people are up to outside of the forum specifics, so here is a few updated pics.

Nathan S.

I have never seen a shower in a basement. I would think it would make mold, but I see there's a window. So it's not underground? Nice DIY job. I'm not sold on the tile design though. Seems too random and chaotic. Please post pics once it's redone.

Hmmm.  Another clueless response.  Showers, bedrooms, etc.. in basements in many areas of the U.S. is very common.  Perhaps you should take some time to pull your head out of your.....sheesh, why do I bother?  Have a nice day.

Calm down everybody, let's keep it civil lol 

slab

Looks good. 

We have no basements here, except the really old mini mansions. 

Ground is to hard. 

Nathan S.

Thanks Slab!

jt76

You have inspired me to stop buying equipent an finish my basement to improve my practice space.  

I have a couple of questions, 

Are you doing all of this yourself?

Are you setting floor directly on the concrete or did you put a subfloor down?

How did you make rounded corners on your drywall, i have not seen that before?

Is the texture on the drywall an asthetic thing or is there a practical purpose?

Are you using something to pump waste water up from the shower, toilet, sink or did you have drains below your basement?

Nathan S.
jt76 wrote:

You have inspired me to stop buying equipent an finish my basement to improve my practice space.  

I have a couple of questions, 

Are you doing all of this yourself?

Are you setting floor directly on the concrete or did you put a subfloor down?

How did you make rounded corners on your drywall, i have not seen that before?

Is the texture on the drywall an asthetic thing or is there a practical purpose?

Are you using something to pump waste water up from the shower, toilet, sink or did you have drains below your basement?

Hey JT, glad to here I've inspired somebody lol! Let me see if I can address all your questions. 

Yes, pretty much done all this myself along with some help from my dad. except carpet install, I hire that out. My dad wired the whole basement, I don't do electrical, but he's good with it. I framed it, he helped show me how to mud, tape and texture the drywall in one bedroom and I've pretty much done the rest. I do all my trim work and wood work. I did most the drain plumbing, he helped me run some water lines. I put all the suspended ceiling in. None of it is really terribly hard, just time and money consuming.

I just build right on the concrete, no subfloor needed. Just hammer drill and anchor bolt the walls to the concrete. I did have to do a little concrete leveling in the bathroom where there were some humps in the concrete before the lino went down. As far as carpet over concrete, just use good thick pad.

Drywall texture does a couple things, for one, yes the asthetick part. For two, texture hides alot of imperfections in your mudding of the joints. You don't have to be nearly as perfect in your mudding when texturing versus if you are smooth walling.

As far as the drainage, it is all in the floor for the whole basement, and drains to a central sewage pump which pumps it up out of the house. If you do not have it in your floor already, you will have to cut trenches in your concrete to run drainage and then re concrete over them. When I built my house I had the basement layout already figured out, so I had ever thing placed and stubbed up through the concrete ahead of time.

Hope that helps.

jt76

Thanks,

Your work looks good for DIY,  

how did you do make the rounded drywall corner?

I don't think I am going to trench my floors I think I am just going to set everything against the wall were the main sewage line runs out and just tie into that.

although trenching is something to consider as I had thought about adding small kitchen on the other side of the basement. 

I had been debating putting subfloor down but It adds a lot of extra expense so I am glad to hear its working for you without it.

Nathan S.
jt76 wrote:

Thanks,

Your work looks good for DIY,  

how did you do make the rounded drywall corner?

I don't think I am going to trench my floors I think I am just going to set everything against the wall were the main sewage line runs out and just tie into that.

although trenching is something to consider as I had thought about adding small kitchen on the other side of the basement. 

I had been debating putting subfloor down but It adds a lot of extra expense so I am glad to hear its working for you without it.

Rounded corner you just buy sticks of rounded bullnose to put on the corners. I square off the top and bottom, makes it easier to work around for trim and false ceiling, plus kinda gives the corner a column look. Yeah, flooring on top of the concrete is not a problem. However, if you are going to tile, linoleum, or hardwood, you may need to pour a leveler first if your concrete is really humps which most is. The leveler is basically a fluid cement you mix up and pour out on the floor and it fills in low spots and finds its own level. 

Trenching the concrete is kinda a pain. Rent a concrete saw and cutboth sides of what you need to trench. Then bust it out.

Thank you by the way.

jt76

Thanks,

I have used self leveler before.

Trenching using that method would make a whole lot of dust.  Think I just work the layout so all the plumbing is on the same side as the existing drains.

Good luck on the the rest of your basement.   Looking forward to seeing the completed guitar wall when you get to that part.

Post to Thread