Johny Marr sells his '59 on Reverb

Updated
Johny Marr sells his '59 on Reverb
slab

Lovely,  but I'll keep my historic that I got for 1 percent of that price.

ESP 348

Whom??

slab

Kraftwerk rules...

But 10 bucks Moz gets in solo first.

Politics, brah.

ESP 348

Cheers Roadie!

Chris W.

$230k? Um...

Pushead

That's pretty much a typical asking price for a 59 Les Paul.  If you think that's bad, you don't want to know how much The Kirk paid for a relatively famous one about 18 months ago.

Gfunk
Pushead wrote:

That's pretty much a typical asking price for a 59 Les Paul.  If you think that's bad, you don't want to know how much The Kirk paid for a relatively famous one about 18 months ago.

Maybe that donkey doesn't, but I do............

How much?

Pushead

The price was never really revealed, but estimates have put it in the $1-1.5 mil range.  The previous owner only offered it to 3 people, and Kirk was the first to cough up the cash.  Joe Bonamassa passed on it.  I'm not sure who else it was offered to.

Gfunk

Was it the Gary Moore / Peter Green 59?

Pushead

Yeah.  He'd taken it on stage a few times last summer.  Mostly during Nothing Else Matters or Fade to Black, but this video shows it on Call of Ktulu.  Around 16:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV9zNP0lJM8

jt76

$1-1.5 mil

thats a lot of money for a guitar with a broken headstock and incorrectly wired pickups

Gfunk

I was gonna say, didn't Peter Green make a bunch of mods to that pig?  I would assume it has been refretted numerous times as well.  New bridge, tail, tuners, etc.

I guess the provenance is enough to establish the price.  Still a lotta cabbage.

Pushead

Who knows, it could be less than that.  Yeah, broken headstock, some non-vintage parts, and the infamous "upside down" neck pickup for the reverse phase middle pickup sound that it's famous for.  Word has it that Kirk removed the Sperzels and put back a vintage set of Klusions and replaced some of the hardware with vintage correct pieces.

I think between he and The James, they have 6 or 7 bursts now.

Pushead

Technically, I think he's removing the $500 in parts to make it playable and adding a few grand in original parts. 

Tondog

James only has 2 IIRC from a discussion awhile back where he bought one from someone who brought him a V to a show and then told him about the '59.

Pushead

I think he has a 58, 2x 59s and a 60.

Post to Thread