Does my picking style suck?

Updated
Does my picking style suck?

I have played guitar for 1,5 years now i think.  I changed my picking style from holding the pick whit 3 fingers to 2 ( thumb and index) about a year ago. I hold it so its angled slightly upwards. Ï hold the pick on the downside of the index, not the side of it.

I have played like that to this day. I got the esp ltd alexi 200 blk few weeks ago an i started playing more standing up since its a v body guitar. I noticed that playing starts to get harder. the pick started to get parrarel whit the strings and the pick whould get stuck between the strings during solos and stuff like holy wars (megadeth). Thats not bechause im not used to playing standing up, its only bechause of my picking technique.

I am trying to change it to the yngwie/paul gilber/ andy james kinds style. Leads feel more comfortable, but strumming is harder for now...

Is it worth it that i change my picking style???

Pushead

If how you're holding the pick works when you're sitting, consider changing the length of your strap when you're standing.  It will change the angle you're holding the guitar and how your hand is positioned at the body.

Big Daddy B

+1 recently I shortened my straps to reduce back pain but noticed it helped my picking. They say you should adjust your strap when sitting down so when you stand it would be at the same level. I don't know about all that as seems like it would ride high, but definitely try shortening and see what happens!

Nathan S.

You mean my guitar isn't supposed to hang at my knees like one Mr. Hetfield???

Pushead

If you can play it that way, go for it.  Play in a way that's comfortable for you.

Nathan S.

Lol, yeah I can't play that way Pus. I was just being a smart ass. I don't have the long gorilla arms for that. There is something about a low slung explorer though that just looks right, but I can't pull it off haha.

Miikitys

Thanks for the replies

Big Daddy B

Slash made a career out of it as well.

ESP 348

I have short arms, so my strap is kinda short. But it's very comfortable.

A mate has long arms and he plays his Gibson SG around his ankles. Lol

Zhalman

Try out different lenghts tough, For Les pauls I found out there's a lenght zone that's just uncomfortable for me, but below the way it angles upwards makes it comfortable for me for both solos, both rythm and above that is just obvious. Experiment until you find the right place.

Post to Thread