Newly Refinished Bass

Updated
Newly Refinished Bass

Finally made it back to the country and got my hands on the Jazz Bass that Exhibit painted for me.  The dude absolutely nailed the color.  I told him I wanted a very dark green...dark enough that you could/would mistake it for black in a dimly lit room, but when it a light hits it shines green.   Sadly, I was only able to slap it all back together & play it through an amp one time...now I'm headed back to Kuwait and its cased in a closet again.  That said, this bass was originally torn apart for refinishing 2 or 3 years ago, so its pretty much awesome to see it all complete again.

Here's my feeble attempt at taking some decent pictures to show off the fresh paint.  Originally the bass was Candy Apple red with a pearl white pickguard.  Everything aside from that is stock.

ChainOfThought

It's not, it's noticeably dimpled.   Exhibit told me about that way ahead of time...basically just needed another buff and polish but I wanted to go ahead and get it while I could.   I dig it anyways,  gives it a pretty cool texture.  I think it's something that could be revisited in the future if I decide to mess with it. 

edit: Ugh, these pictures look terrible on my TV/Monitor now that I'm back at my apartment.  They looked pretty good to me on my macbook.  Damn.

exhibit-sbt

Wow, that color does look nice on it!  Yeah, just needs a little color sanding/buffing and she'd be smoothed over nice.  We can still take care of that later whenever you mozy back towards Raleigh.

Vedran P.

Nice bass! Really good finish.., I myself am more natural oil type finish person, but this is one good paintjob!

ChainOfThought

Never saw these replies.

Exhibit:  Yeah someday man, I think it'll be quite some time before I head back that way.  Long enough that I'm tempted to have my wife bring me that bass next time she visits...not 100% that I want to risk it to the airlines & later shipment back home and whatnot.  The color definitely came out perfect though, matches the pickguard and fretboard exactly like I thought it would.

Vedran: I am too, but this particular bass wasn't going to take an oil finish...it was too fucked up with too many layers of shit that still needed to be removed.  I took it to a local shop once to have them price out an oil finish it for it...they told me they couldn't in good faith take the job because they would have to charge me so much money in man-hours & everything else to get it done, and they wouldn't be able to gaurantee that it would come out looking decent on top of that.

slab

gg1's post about the orange peel is gone.weird

ChainOfThought

Thanks man, I'm extremely tempted to have it sent/brought to me here in Kuwait but I'm just not sure its worth the risk :/  My SR505 took a shit on me and I can't seem to find a replacement bridge for it so its kind of a toss-up....risk damage to my Fender, pay Ibanez for a replacement bridge, or buy a beater bass for over here.  Hmmmm

Post to Thread