Help me pick a pickup eh?

Updated
Help me pick a pickup eh?

I want to throw something new in my 7321, the stock pickups just don't really do it for me.  I've used X2N's pretty much exclusively for the bridge position since 2006 or so, so I'm definitely predisposed to go ahead and lean towards that.  However, I'm wondering if I should try something different. Some of the SD offerings seem pretty legit, and then there's BKP as well.  I realize that a bare knuckle in a 7321 might seem a bit bass-ackwards, but the idea is that I'll be getting a nicer 7 eventually anyways (probably a Carvin), and at that point I can just throw it in there.

So, onions?  X2N, Drop-Sonic, Crunch Lab, Blaze, Seymour Duncan something or other, Bareknuckle?

exhibit-sbt

Out of those options.. I'd go with a Duncan Custom.  If I didn't have painted pickups on a few of my guitars and despise changing EQs constanty, I'd be using them for my crunch tones.  Does great with lower tunings.

ChainOfThought

Cool, don't think I've looked at that one much,  I'll check it out.

Osvaldo T.
ChainOfThought wrote:

I want to throw something new in my 7321, the stock pickups just don't really do it for me.  I've used X2N's pretty much exclusively for the bridge position since 2006 or so, so I'm definitely predisposed to go ahead and lean towards that.  However, I'm wondering if I should try something different. Some of the SD offerings seem pretty legit, and then there's BKP as well.  I realize that a bare knuckle in a 7321 might seem a bit bass-ackwards, but the idea is that I'll be getting a nicer 7 eventually anyways (probably a Carvin), and at that point I can just throw it in there.

So, onions?  X2N, Drop-Sonic, Crunch Lab, Blaze, Seymour Duncan something or other, Bareknuckle?

What type of music are you playing man? The SH-5 Duncan Custom is a great pickup! It's the people (my bands) favorite in terms of tone.

If metal is your thing, you may check out Seymour Duncan's Black Winter pickups.  

They're next on my wishlist.

ChainOfThought

https://soundcloud.com/wisdomcomes/duality-1

Thats most of what I play.

However, I pulled my 8-string out last night--its been cased for like 7 months now--and adjusted it to get rid of a shitload of fretbuzz....voila, I think I'm in love again.  I have to pick either the 7 or the 8 over the course of the next month because one of them has to go home with me in October.   So I'm going to throw the 7 in the case and see how I feel about only having an 8-string over the next month or so.  If I'm cool with that, then no more need for pickups in the 7.  However....I might eventually swap the blackouts in the 8-string for one of the SD passives that will fit in the slot.

donting

I love x2n's as well. I think BKs are a rip off for anyone outside of the UK, they are unnessesary. I also love the Duncan custom, sounds great in alder bod / maple neck. X2N for me though in most situations, as it's ice and savage. Suhr Aldrich set for a more balanced perspective. And a Duncan custom for something special 

metalhobo

EMGs

dec

I have to dissagree about Bare Knuckles. At first I thought the same.

I have a Ceramic Blackhawk and absolutly love it. It is super dead quiet at really loud volume. It is only 9k but the larger wire pumps out tons of clean power.

You can hear everything you are doing. It is not a good pickup if you are a sloppy player, you will hear mistakes clearly and it handles downtuning down to b really well, has a nasty growl down there.

It is very versitle .  I have Di marzio super distortions 1 and 3 and D activator. The sd1 was my favorite for a long time. But now the Blackhawk is my fave. I also have a BKP holy diver set but like the Super distortion better for what I was going after in two of my guitars. The Holy diver isnt bad, it is just too clean/articulate for that hot 80s tone. I think if the hold diver had a ceramic instead of a alnicoV it would be better. I also like the D activator. But I hate my EMG set.

I also like ceramics due to the sizzle they can get.

I absolutly hate seymour duncans sh6 distortion, howls at high volume. And just seems too boomy.....maybe I have a bunk one. But seymour duncans just dont do it for me.

Post to Thread