The something neat you bought (that doesn't deserve it's own thread) thread.

Updated
The something neat you bought (that doesn't deserve it's own thread) thread.

Here post whatever cool and neat things you've purchased recently!

Only two rules:

• It cannot be NGDs or NADs.  Use your own intuition as to what qualifies, but please make new threads for your new guitar gear!
  • You must actually take a photo of the cool and or neat item which could be relevant to our collective interests.  Maybe a short review as well!

I'll get us started..  as soon as I finish flooding random pictures to ESP to become an approved member..  :rollseyes

Also, whats the point of having bullets, if they don't work?

Kride

Strings, testing a 'custom' gauges set

Zorlac

Basically only wear boots cuz of work and all. Only pair of sneakers I had were a beat to shit pair of onitsuka tigers so I copped these on clearance $25. Not bad

The G.

well, bought a psp 3000 replacement lcd screen for a free one i was given. got tron evolution, capcom collection reloaded, and sega's collection. it already had liberty city stories in it. just bought a dual slot pro duo card adapter for micro sd's off new egg for the psp. going to snag a couple of 2gb 800mhz ddr2 patriot ram for the MAME pc tomorrow. finally, 2 boxed with instructions and controller cards intellivision games; nightstalker and tron: maze a tron.

ProfessorExp

New guitar hanger setup. Slatwall MX from Diamond Life Gear dot com.

Came to about $175 for the 8-foot strip, 10 hangers, mounting hardware, and shipping. 

slab

knew knife day

Sorry, something went wrong while processing your request. We've been notified about this issue and we'll take a look at it shortly.

still cant post a pic

donting

Bought a rolex explorer 1 last week, for travelling. On a train to cambodia: 

slab

nice bling, ...i sold my rolex becuz i hate shit on my wrist

hey mod putin, why cant i post pics???

Dave R.

Sounds like you just happened to encounter an error. Did you try again? Have you earned any recent bad karma?

donting

You had to buy a rolex just to discover you didn't like wearing wrist watches? :lol

or do you mean that you think rolex literally is a piece of shit wrist watch? If you're a 5204P owner id understand your sentiment, but still disagree to an extent.

exhibit-sbt

I'd imagine that wearing a Rolex specifically for traveling is just advertising to the wrong people which arm to chop off.  :lol  

slab

yes, i bought it only to find i didnt like it on my wrist,

as i never really wore wrist watches and i had the cash....oyster perpetual datejust in stainless and 18k gold;

this was the late 80s and that's what all the players had-

bought used from an authorized dealer and turned a tidy sum of $200US, so no worries

oh, it would lose time....20 seconds a day

donting

My watch is on my phone. $7K+ saved. U mad?

Well with that logic we'd all own squires on this board, as they do the same thing as any ESP customshop.

Ans: Why buy KL? I have a squire strat. $7k+ saved. U mad?

♥messiah♥

An ESP custom shop would be (marginally) better sounding and playing than a Squire.  The point of a watch is to tell time and phone does that just as well.

donting
♥messiah♥ wrote:

An ESP custom shop would be (marginally) better sounding and playing than a Squire.  The point of a watch is to tell time and phone does that just as well.

A phone will tell the time, and dare I say date, day and month as well, better than a mechanical wrist watch. i think everyone knows that.

But that is not the point. And if you are never going to 'get it' as you are not interested in horology or even simply what  enjoyment there is in wearing / owning a quality wrist watch. Why own a porshe 911 when the speed limit is like 55mph in your country? A ford focus will do the same and get you from A to B.. Each to their own is what I say

Don't buy an esp custom if you can't play guitar or are not interested in a well built high quality handmade instrument. Simple as that really, buy something your interested in.

♥messiah♥
donting wrote:

A phone will tell the time, and dare I say date, day and month as well, better than a mechanical wrist watch. i think everyone knows that.

But that is not the point. And if you are never going to 'get it' as you are not interested in horology or even simply what  enjoyment there is in wearing / owning a quality wrist watch. Why own a porshe 911 when the speed limit is like 55mph in your country? A ford focus will do the same and get you from A to B.. Each to their own is what I say

Don't buy an esp custom if you can't play guitar or are not interested in a well built high quality handmade instrument. Simple as that really, buy something your interested in.

I was talking about the actual utility of the watch.  Obviously it is nice, that's not what was being discussed though.

metalhobo

phones aren't self winding

donting
exhibit-sbt wrote:

I'd imagine that wearing a Rolex specifically for traveling is just advertising to the wrong people which arm to chop off.  :lol  

I didn't buy it specifically for travelling, I've had my eye on it for over a year, before we decided to take a few months off to travel (again). But while travelling, I saw 1 2nd hand which made me want it then and there. But ended up buying from the rolex store directly in the end for the brand new model (old 36mm new 39mm with improved movement, braclet, clasp, etc)

it just so happens it is ideal for travelling, as it is the most discrete watch in the rolex range, also rugged and reliable. But when I get home I can put on a suit and it won't look out of place there either. Worth noting that it was the watch worn by the first man to scale Mount Everest. We will be at base camp in about 4 weeks time. Although unrelated to my purchase, just a note.

no one is going to hack my arm off for this round where we are going (and have been), there is more chance of me being mugged in london for it. But let's face it it's not a solid gold submarina which is screaming drug dealer. It's a discrete watch which no one even notices, that's the point and that's why i like it. Especially in asia with a backpack strapped to my back, anyone who even knows anything about wrist watches would probably assume it was a fake, if not a watch enthusiast who would not want to chop my arm off.

we're not in Nigeria or the back streets of Cape Town. I've been living in asia for the last 8+ years. There is more chance id get robbed in LA or Detroit than in Siam Reap

donting
slab wrote:

yes, i bought it only to find i didnt like it on my wrist,

as i never really wore wrist watches and i had the cash....oyster perpetual datejust in stainless and 18k gold;

this was the late 80s and that's what all the players had-

bought used from an authorized dealer and turned a tidy sum of $200US, so no worries

oh, it would lose time....20 seconds a day

20 seconds a day?? Sounds like it needed a proper service as it was clearly broken. None should loose more than 4-5 seconds per day MAX. All mechanical watches need servicing around every 5 years to clean and re-oil the parts and replace worn elements. That's why it was loosing a minute every 3 days.

if you leave the explorer 1 crown down it won't even loose a second. I've not made any adjustments since I bought it. Should it loose more than 5 seconds then id send it back as it has a 2 year guarantee.

metalhobo

my god, $6000? I know it'll last forever and everything, and that it's a work of art, but really? if it was one-of-a-kind, maybe...

Post to Thread