NGD! Got my first ESP. Anything special about it?

Updated
Johnny Phatsaqs

Other than it's a fantastic guitar.  Stumbled on to a craigslist posting of a guy wanting to trade this ESP M-II Deluxe for a Fender Blacktop Tele.  I happened to have one and happily made the trade.  I guess value wise, I came out way ahead, but I'm not sure.  I've been an Ibanez guy for 30 years, and I don't know much about ESP, other than they're awesome.  Would this be a Japanese ESP?  And info on it would be greatly appreciated.  The label on the back of the head says 75-95 20th Anniversary.  Serial number on the plate is 18549.

metalhobo

WOW

you seem to have stumbled upon one of the few true MYSTIC WOOD guitar models ever built by esp. these instruments were crafted using sacred woods from the revered sakura forest in north central japan. unfortunately the japanese government put an end to their production before very many of these guitars were produced, citing environmental regulations and complaints from religious groups. this caused much embarrassment for esp and as such they try to keep the existence of these guitars under wraps. many newer esps are claimed to be "mystic wooded," but in truth only the ones with the stamp on the back of the headstock like yours are truly from the original true sakura stock.

Johnny Phatsaqs

Are you kidding me? 

metalhobo

there was actually quite a bit of information of this subject on the old forum, which is one of the reasons esp scrapped it in favor of this newer message board. unfortunately most of the members who own/owned similar guitars have since left.

Johnny Phatsaqs

Kinda sounds like bs

Pushead

It's too bad we can't see bigger pictures of it.  It looks like the typical M-II layout from the early to mid 90s, but I can't quite put my finger on the top wood (and design?).  Also, I've never seen that particular circle logo on the back.

6-String

Nice guitar

Its a custom and the logo is the 20th aniv logo. You can check out the guitar in the archives page 14

M-II Deluxe Wood Swirl:

http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files/esp/downloads/000/000/076/ESP-1995-Catalog.pdf?1392144566

Johnny Phatsaqs

Wow, thanks. Didn't know it was a custom. Any idea in value?

6-String

Cant tell much from the photos but I will say I think you did pretty good on it. How do you like it?

I don’t know why but the older models don’t fetch a lot of money unless it is a KH-20 or some other sig series in limited numbers or lawsuit model but they are awesome guitars.Pretty cool having a catalog guitar too huh?

slab

sick fiddle

Not sure I get it, looks like someone took an orbital sander to a quilt veneer on a mahogany body.

The G.

Doesn't Shinji protect the mystic tone wood forest, as commissioned by ESP or am I mixed up? Also, you can see exclusive mystic forest footage in one of Loudness' old music videos.

Johnny Phatsaqs

Thanks for the information.  Before I posted here, out of curiosity, I took it to guitar center to see if they could tell me anything.  He basically said it was nothing special, and offered me $400 for it.  

Dave R.

Great find, I'd hang on to it.

Johnny Phatsaqs
Dave R. wrote:

Great find, I'd hang on to it.

I'm absolutely gonna hang on to it.  Great guitar.  Just gonna block the trem.  Twas a PITA to string and tune.  Don't know why.  Have a bunch of Floyds, but this thing was giving me fits.

Gfunk
Johnny Phatsaqs wrote:

I'm absolutely gonna hang on to it.  Great guitar. 

A fiver says its on ebay in two weeks for like seven grand.

Post to Thread