Forum Quotes: Start Rocking

Updated
Forum Quotes: Start Rocking

A couple of people -- okay, a lot of people -- have requested that we add quoting functionality to the ESP forums. Your wish is our command. Quoting is now possible, thanks to our web development team and to your feedback on making the forum better. Thanks for your patience. You can quote me on that (literally).

Jeff K.

The OP can neither be quoted nor directly replied to. Oops.

Then quote me on this. Damn man, just quote me!

Jeff K.

Thanks for the input RK! I will say that we're looking forward and not backward. We won't "ditch approved members", but we still can make tweaks to how the forum performs. We might consult with you and a few other folks here who seem to have good ideas on ways to make the forums improve. Are more smilies super important to the experience of using the forum?

metalhobo

OK, congratulations on implementing a function that should have always been available from this forum's inception. Here's what to work on next (according to other members' compaints):

1. Ditch the reply/nesting functions.

2. Ditch the approved member nonsense.

3. Ditch the OP showing up first on each additional page of a thread.

4. Implement confused smilies.

tl;dr? Make the forum exactly like it was in 2012.

metalhobo
metalhobo wrote:

OK, congratulations on implementing a function that should have always been available from this forum's inception. Here's what to work on next (according to other members' compaints):

metalhobo
metalhobo wrote:

metalhobo
metalhobo wrote:

metalhobo
metalhobo wrote:

metalhobo

1. nested quoting doesn't work right (only puts the last author)

2. no multiple quoting yet?

3. where is dynamically linked original posts? like, I want to click a thing on the quoted post to view the original post

Jeff K.

Okay, this is good feedback. Keep it coming. Thanks Metalhobo.

singlecoilpickup
Jeff K. wrote:

I will say that we're looking forward and not backward. 

Interesting statement given that this forum is a large step backward in terms of technical features. 

The approved members thing is flat-out terrible. It's not about "looking backward," it's about making the forum usable. There have been many guitar-related things I've been interested in posting and then just gave up when I got the stupid "non-approved member" thing despite being around here for 6 years. 

I'm quite confident you'll find old members and new members alike would agree on that point. Stopping people from being able to share until they reach some threshold that isn't described anywhere is pure frustration and drives users away.

Jeff K.

Good to know. Thanks Single. Again, I can't make a policy decision on that matter, but I can relate your input to those who can.

Meanwhile, we're still working with our web dev team to make some more immediate tweaks. Stay tuned.

Jeff K.
♥messiah♥ wrote:

Now the OP is at the top of every page.  One step forward and two steps back.

No, that was always the case. We're looking at that as well. In fact, we're getting a bunch of good info just based on this thread. Thanks Mark.

Dave R.

You will also notice that the reply nesting has been reduced to only one-level, and the main reply box has been moved to the bottom of the page...

Jeff K.
Dave R. wrote:

You will also notice that the reply nesting has been reduced to only one-level, and the main reply box has been moved to the bottom of the page...

Thanks for pointing that out, Dave.

slab

well, dudes, its been close to a year now

its not a mars mission

too little too late, it would seem

carry on, sirs

Post to Thread