Forum Quotes: Start Rocking

Updated
Forum Quotes: Start Rocking

A couple of people -- okay, a lot of people -- have requested that we add quoting functionality to the ESP forums. Your wish is our command. Quoting is now possible, thanks to our web development team and to your feedback on making the forum better. Thanks for your patience. You can quote me on that (literally).

The G.

Cool to see the quotes and the reply box laying low. I had always seen the nesting as an alternative to quoting. Letting you reply inside a post versus making a new post. Its almost works like facebook where you reply to someone's post, and clicking on the comments to open them up. Now lets add a black theme ala the page header to the honey do list!

exhibit-sbt

I am in favor of a black theme that doesn't fade out the forum page directory at the top..   

Agreed with killing approved members bs.   It was a good idea on paper, but obviously fails in execution.   

Make a goddam sticky thread for noobs with help and q&a and delete the 'conduct thread'.  Its not welcoming in the slightest. 

The proper smiles actually are important.   I want to type :lol and it mean something. 

donting

Basically, I was a member of these boards since 2002. That's 12 years. Jeff K you have the nerve to tell someone like RK that you're looking forward not backwards? The forum has been COMPLETELY RUINED and you have successfully drove pretty much all the traffic it once had away with this ridiculous crap. Do as RK says and implement the system as it was, it wasn't perfect but then what is? This board is far from it. Implement the old board and just add a 'like' feature and you're good to go, some members may even start to come back

donting

I 2nd omess' motion

i can't even post my new gear day pics even after uploading them to this system or post links to them. What a pile of bullshit

ESP has lost a customer in me, and it purely down the boards. I'll stick to Suhr and James Tyler for my new customshop quality guitars going forwards, which are far superior to anything ESP could possibly put out, and I have 5 ESPs. 2 will go on sale shortly and I will never seek to buy another one again.

guitargirlemg81
donting wrote:

I 2nd omess' motion

i can't even post my new gear day pics even after uploading them to this system or post links to them. What a pile of bullshit

ESP has lost a customer in me, and it purely down the boards. I'll stick to Suhr and James Tyler for my new customshop quality guitars going forwards, which are far superior to anything ESP could possibly put out, and I have 5 ESPs. 2 will go on sale shortly and I will never seek to buy another one again.

sdjaksjdj

Basically, I was a member of these boards since 2002. That's 12 years. Jeff K you have the nerve to tell someone like RK that you're looking forward not backwards? The forum has been COMPLETELY RUINED and you have successfully drove pretty much all the traffic it once had away with this ridiculous crap. Do as RK says and implement the system as it was, it wasn't perfect but then what is? This board is far from it. Implement the old board and just add a 'like' feature and you're good to go, some members may even start to come back

asdjaosidaosdoij

www.jacksonguitars.com

http://www.jacksonguitars.com

guitargirlemg81

I can only get the author's name in the first quote on multiple quoting.

The reply button makes no sense now, so refraining to use it is the best idea in order to keep the correct line of time from the top to the bottom. It would be wise to get rid of it if possible in case that anyone who does not know how to use a forum doesn't mess the line. Also I made a big post but I accidentaly clicked delete and without asking for confirmation the post was gone so there's that. Plus the edit and delete post options sometimes won't show so you have to refresh the page to fix this.

Honestly, switching to ezboard or the like would have instantly made the forum much more functional. I imagine it'd be much less of a hassle to do this than fixing this thing, but whatevs.

Ugh, this duplicates after the ...read more.

Gfunk
metalhobo wrote:

1. nested quoting doesn't work right (only puts the last author)

2. no multiple quoting yet?

3. where is dynamically linked original posts? like, I want to click a thing on the quoted post to view the original post

Jeff K.

As most of you may know, we're at the Summer NAMM show at the moment, which starts tomorrow... feel free to drop by and say hi if you're in Nashville (public day is Sat Jul 19). After the show, we'll start to take a look at some more changes to the forums. It might be time to make some larger changes than we'd initially planned. Stay tuned. :)

Jeff K.
donting wrote:

I'll stick to Suhr and James Tyler for my new customshop quality guitars going forwards, which are far superior to anything ESP could possibly put out, and I have 5 ESPs. 2 will go on sale shortly and I will never seek to buy another one again.

How are the Suhr and Tyler forums?

exhibit-sbt

Having the OP comment show up at the top is confusing at fuck.  I clicked page 3, the OP pops up, there's nothing to differentiate between it and stuff you post after it.

Jeff K.
exhibit-sbt wrote:

Having the OP comment show up at the top is confusing at fuck.  I clicked page 3, the OP pops up, there's nothing to differentiate between it and stuff you post after it.

Yeah, I'm not a fan either.

donting
Jeff K. wrote:

I'll stick to Suhr and James Tyler for my new customshop quality guitars going forwards, which are far superior to anything ESP could possibly put out, and I have 5 ESPs. 2 will go on sale shortly and I will never seek to buy another one again.

They are not condicending to their customers 

Gfunk
donting wrote:

They are not condicending to their customers 

jt76

disclaimer - random introspective after a few to many beers

first let me say I can't speak for Tyler, but the Suhr forum is quite enjoyable.  Much more akin to how things used to be here.  as for quality, Suhr is an outstanding insturment,  I own one.   I on the other hand own more than 30 esp products.  while I believe the standard series has fallen in quality as of late, they are still formidable and resonably priced instruments.   A workhorse for the giging musician with a decent budget.  Do I want to drop 4,000 for a mid quality shur and gig with it, no!  My suhr while quite enjoyable is reserved for home use as would be an esp original ( I assume the quality is there based only on price and experience with your products since I have yet to lay my hands on one because my local shops have limited selections).  The standard series is expensive, but pro quality,  and not such an investment that I gard it with my life.  My custom shop ESP however smokes my Suhr.   I would be highly reluctant to gig with that either.  I am certain John could custom build something that would impress, and possibly outshine my ESP custom, but at a price I am not willing to pay.  All that said I would sell off my collection including my suhr and my cutom shop and keep my 2 horizon classics if money ever got tight.  For that matter I have a an LTD MII deluxe from the mid 90's that could out last everything in my colletion if things ever really went down the toilet.

On the other hand I think this forum has gone to crap, seems as if quotes were implemented at cost of deletion of omess,  sorry, he was an ass, but equally part of what made this feel like home.   The LTD and Equipment and technical sections are alive and well, with mostly endless silly noob questions and persons who reply to posts from 5 years ago, but the heart and soul of this place is gone from lack of interest or banned members.   There is no heart beat. I feel as if we are a terminal paitent only surviving by mechanical assitance.  Thanks for the quote feature, its a good place to start, but something is seriously wrong here.  There is just something missing.  I was a daily visitor, now I just check in once in a while.   You have created a haven for noobs, and lost all respect for those who built this place.  Tolerance for nonsense and fun and abstract bs should be qually valued as much as tolerance for those whom are just joining.   I joined a much different forum,  paid my dues, got harrased, and made it through.  I felt like I was part of it, now I am lost here.  Kramer lost itsself by becoming  known for cheap instruments, instead of the american series and focus series that were mostly made by you, because they realize that selling thousands of cheap crappy guitars was more profitable.  Look how that turned out.  Kamen music likewise destroyed the reputation of many fantastic brands using the same buisness model.  Dean and BC rich and even Ibanez have also become better known for their lower end models.   Happy to see that you have revitalized the high end product lines,  please don't discard the customers that are likely to buy them in favor of those who would buya chinese LTD or that may quickly become what you are best known for.  

I will now pour my beer on the ground ( Im going outside first, not doing it on the floor by my PC) in tribute of those old schoolers whom we have lost .  

edit-- somehow this ended up as a reply to gfunk instead of it own separate entity.  no gonna bother to move it now.  I must of clicked the wrong place.....why is this forum so hard to use.     

Jeff K.
jt76 wrote:

disclaimer - random introspective after a few to many beers

That was actually all good stuff, and thank you, JT.

Powerslave
Jeff K. wrote:

Thanks for the input RK! I will say that we're looking forward and not backward. We won't "ditch approved members", but we still can make tweaks to how the forum performs. We might consult with you and a few other folks here who seem to have good ideas on ways to make the forums improve. Are more smilies super important to the experience of using the forum?

Ozzfun

Does everyone elese see quotes for the past two posts but no responses underneath? 

Post to Thread