• KFW

Hmmm, I like the one with less bass better. 

Here's what I'd do. Keep that second mix with less bass, and add in mostly just some sub lows (between 50-80 hz). Nothing else. Either add it to the entire mix, or just the bass guitar. High pass everything else, maybe even the kick drum at around 80 hz. This sometimes can retain some clarity while still adding depth to the mix, and enough bass that when you're listening to it you can hear a little bit of a "shake" without it being all boomy. 

Also, something I've learned. You always hear "it's not the gear!"...but to some degree, it is the gear. You sound like you might be a little limited with your drum sounds and Pod tones. I'd consider investing in some drum sounds (Steven Slate, Superior Drummer with some add on, LSD drums...something popular that is mix ready). And work on making the drum sounds more human. That'll be a huuuuge step in the right direction. Then, either figure out how to use some free amp sims, or really sit down dial in a tone with your Pod (you have an HD, right?). The HD is cool, and sounds good live, but it hasn't been until a little more recently that I realized it's slightly lackluster. You can get just as good or better with the free amp sims available. 

How are you recording bass? It's actually quite simple: record it DI, and make sure you're using your interface properly and plugging into with a DI box, or depending on your interface, selecting an "instrument" setting. Night and day difference when your DIs are recorded correctly, not subtle cork sniffery at all. I didn't know this until a few months ago, now I feel like an idiot for recording with a muffled tone all the time and wondering why my bass tone sucks. Messing with too many bass cabs/complex bass tones I find makes you get further away from what the bass should be doing, and gives you more complex frequencies that are harder to mix with. Just a straight DI bass tone with some distortion is all you need--try the free TSE BOD bass overdrive plugin on your DI. Turn up the drive and mess with the blend knob. Pick hard and you have an exceptional bass tone for any use. 

Let me give you some god damn REAL TALK. Unless you're happy with these demos, they aren't going to get any better unless you get at least decent quality gear and learn how to use it (which isn't hard, I could show you some of the basics). That drum tone is laying the foundation for a fairly boring sound production wise, and your guitars are kind of centered and lacking detail. The playing and writing is awesome, just need to up the ante and research a teeeny bit harder on how to get some better sounds. 

Cancel