• donting

My watch is on my phone. $7K+ saved. U mad?

Well with that logic we'd all own squires on this board, as they do the same thing as any ESP customshop.

Ans: Why buy KL? I have a squire strat. $7k+ saved. U mad?

• ♥messiah♥

An ESP custom shop would be (marginally) better sounding and playing than a Squire.  The point of a watch is to tell time and phone does that just as well.

• donting
        ♥messiah♥ wrote:

An ESP custom shop would be (marginally) better sounding and playing than a Squire.  The point of a watch is to tell time and phone does that just as well.

A phone will tell the time, and dare I say date, day and month as well, better than a mechanical wrist watch. i think everyone knows that.

But that is not the point. And if you are never going to 'get it' as you are not interested in horology or even simply what  enjoyment there is in wearing / owning a quality wrist watch. Why own a porshe 911 when the speed limit is like 55mph in your country? A ford focus will do the same and get you from A to B.. Each to their own is what I say

Don't buy an esp custom if you can't play guitar or are not interested in a well built high quality handmade instrument. Simple as that really, buy something your interested in.

• ♥messiah♥
        donting wrote:

A phone will tell the time, and dare I say date, day and month as well, better than a mechanical wrist watch. i think everyone knows that.

But that is not the point. And if you are never going to 'get it' as you are not interested in horology or even simply what  enjoyment there is in wearing / owning a quality wrist watch. Why own a porshe 911 when the speed limit is like 55mph in your country? A ford focus will do the same and get you from A to B.. Each to their own is what I say

Don't buy an esp custom if you can't play guitar or are not interested in a well built high quality handmade instrument. Simple as that really, buy something your interested in.

I was talking about the actual utility of the watch.  Obviously it is nice, that's not what was being discussed though.

• metalhobo

phones aren't self winding

• donting
      exhibit-sbt wrote:

I'd imagine that wearing a Rolex specifically for traveling is just advertising to the wrong people which arm to chop off.  :lol  

I didn't buy it specifically for travelling, I've had my eye on it for over a year, before we decided to take a few months off to travel (again). But while travelling, I saw 1 2nd hand which made me want it then and there. But ended up buying from the rolex store directly in the end for the brand new model (old 36mm new 39mm with improved movement, braclet, clasp, etc)

it just so happens it is ideal for travelling, as it is the most discrete watch in the rolex range, also rugged and reliable. But when I get home I can put on a suit and it won't look out of place there either. Worth noting that it was the watch worn by the first man to scale Mount Everest. We will be at base camp in about 4 weeks time. Although unrelated to my purchase, just a note.

no one is going to hack my arm off for this round where we are going (and have been), there is more chance of me being mugged in london for it. But let's face it it's not a solid gold submarina which is screaming drug dealer. It's a discrete watch which no one even notices, that's the point and that's why i like it. Especially in asia with a backpack strapped to my back, anyone who even knows anything about wrist watches would probably assume it was a fake, if not a watch enthusiast who would not want to chop my arm off.

we're not in Nigeria or the back streets of Cape Town. I've been living in asia for the last 8+ years. There is more chance id get robbed in LA or Detroit than in Siam Reap

• donting
      slab wrote:

yes, i bought it only to find i didnt like it on my wrist,

as i never really wore wrist watches and i had the cash....oyster perpetual datejust in stainless and 18k gold;

this was the late 80s and that's what all the players had-

bought used from an authorized dealer and turned a tidy sum of $200US, so no worries

oh, it would lose time....20 seconds a day

20 seconds a day?? Sounds like it needed a proper service as it was clearly broken. None should loose more than 4-5 seconds per day MAX. All mechanical watches need servicing around every 5 years to clean and re-oil the parts and replace worn elements. That's why it was loosing a minute every 3 days.

if you leave the explorer 1 crown down it won't even loose a second. I've not made any adjustments since I bought it. Should it loose more than 5 seconds then id send it back as it has a 2 year guarantee.

• metalhobo

my god, $6000? I know it'll last forever and everything, and that it's a work of art, but really? if it was one-of-a-kind, maybe...

• donting

metalhobo, i thought this thread was post something neat you bought that doesn't deserve its own thread? its not as if i posted pics of a filthy dildo i just bought on ebay-japan. can't we just leave it as that? - it's something that i bought that i think is neat.. i don't recall in the old boards people keep digging at peoples purchases?

when i get back i was going to post some new purchases in my whiskey cabinet, but i might not bother now if the only comments will be "i drink red label and its 10 times cheaper than what you bought, it gets me drunk all the same as your whiskey, U mad? u dumb? fool?" etc.

• donting

You're right RK you're right. I guess I'm just bored right now on a 2 day train ride

• exhibit-sbt

Phones always be needing recharging and shit.  Pfffft.  

(rocking my $35 National Geographic watch bought off Woot 3 years ago)

• ヽ( ●^.^)人(^~ ^ ●)ノ
      Zorlac wrote:

Basically only wear boots cuz of work and all. Only pair of sneakers I had were a beat to shit pair of onitsuka tigers so I copped these on clearance $25. Not bad

Soon...

• exhibit-sbt

This fucken pedal..  oh my god it sounds so fucken sick on my Mesa 2:50/Engl E530.  healthy amount of OD + fuzz combined, sounds fuller but maintains some attack.  Highly recommended.

• donting

A rare 1L edition of the 12.. And the 25 needs no introduction...

And More recently

• donting

Can you be more specific?

• Kride

• Kride

Got a fair deal on these fellas, a Line6 Flextone II HD with the longboard and a Palmer 2x12 with WGS Retro 30 and WGS Reaper HP.

Very good stuff for the money IMO. I have the cab hooked in mono for now because of only one speaker cable...

Clipz if I get my lazy ass to record some soon.

• metalhobo

Cancel