When to replace tubes?

Updated
Dean L.

Hi,

I have had my Peavey 6505+ for a few months, and to me it sounds awesome!

I have never listened to another 6505+ in the same room so I am not sure if my amp sounds as good as it can or if it can sound better 

My questions are

How do I know when my amp needs new tubes?

Are there any obvious signs of a faulty amp?

Is there anything else I can add or mod to bring out even more tone? 

I currently run it through a Mesa Boogie 412 Recto cab

TS-9 Tube Screamer and a Boss NS-2 noise gate  out front

Chorus, Delay, loop in the effects loop

Thanks 

Pushead

Sudden volume drops while playing - new power amp tubes

Random static - new preamp tubes

Tube glowing a different color than the rest - new tube

As for "better," that's a hard thing to put a finger on. There are dozens of places that sell tubes that all claim major changes in tone. If you're not completely sold on the sound of the amp, try visiting some of those sites and see what they recommend for the sound you're looking for. There's literally nothing that you can't throw money at to make "better."

Mostly, I think it's snake oil. I've heard differences, but I'd rather just focus on my playing.

Hofan S.
Pushead wrote:

Sudden volume drops while playing - new power amp tubes

Random static - new preamp tubes

Tube glowing a different color than the rest - new tube

As for "better," that's a hard thing to put a finger on. There are dozens of places that sell tubes that all claim major changes in tone. If you're not completely sold on the sound of the amp, try visiting some of those sites and see what they recommend for the sound you're looking for. There's literally nothing that you can't throw money at to make "better."

Mostly, I think it's snake oil. I've heard differences, but I'd rather just focus on my playing.

What about requisite? 

Post to Thread