Bugera 1990 - 4x12 cabs ohms?

Updated
Bugera 1990 - 4x12 cabs ohms?

Hi ESP fans,  I have a friend who just bought a Bugera 1990 (JCM clone). For the money, this thing rocks.  He bought two Blackstar 4X12 cabinets (i think HT-412 .. whatever their budget model is) running Celestion Seventy 80 speakers. The Bugera has two speaker outputs with switchable ohms. It says "jacks paralleled" which I think is the key here.  Wouldn't paralleled mean that each jack is capable of handling the chosen impedance?  Or would the overall impedance be divided by two if both jacks are used?  The Blackstar cabinets are 4 ohm cabs so the thinking was to have two output cables with 4 ohm impedance chosen via switch out of Bugera into each cabinet ... two separate cables.  He is convinced that these cabinets will not work with his 1990 and is ready to try to sell both of them.  I'd like to try to help him and know for sure .. .  If in fact running parallel cables actually won't work will running in series work perhaps?  How do you full stack guys do your setups?  There must be a reason Blackstar is selling 4x12 cabinets at 4 ohms.  many thanks ... Metal

Pushead

Parallel outputs would mean the overall impedance is divided by two jacks when both are used. If he wants to be safe, switch the amp to 4 ohms and run both cabinets. The safe mismatch for amplifiers is for the speakers to have more resistance than the amplifier expects. But (without reading the manual) the correct connection would be setting the amp to 8 ohms and using both 4 ohm cabs.

RockOnPearl

Pushead .. thanks for reply.  My friend replied as I was thinking the same as you, however he says the Bugera manual is telling him just the opposite .. which I don't think makes a lot of sense.  His response  " I got my information from the manual, which says that two 16 ohms means set the switch to 8 ohms, and two 8 ohms means you set the switch to 4 ohms."    I just read the manual and I have to concur.  It shows a chart that is pretty clear.  Set impedance to 4 ohms to get two 8 ohm outputs.  Weird.

https://www.strumentimusicali.net/manuali/2017/11/08/8a/bugera-1990infinium-en.pdf

Pushead

Maybe that's why Bugera amps catch fire so often.

Hey, go with what the manual says. They'd know better than I. The next question would be why does your friend need two 4x12 cabinets? I mean other than "because he can" & "because it looks cool." (both totally legit responses in my world. )

From a practical gigging experience, I've never been at a venue where I was able to run my amp (through 1 4x12) at anywhere near 1/2 volume. The extra cabinet just adds things to lug around and time to setup/tear down.

RockOnPearl

Trust me ... I tried to talk him out of it.  As a result he's stuck with 8 of those Celestion Seventy 80's.  But his guitar playing makes up for his loudness vanity. He's 17 y.o. and a throw back to the 80's.  George Lynch and Steve Vai are his favorite players.   \M/

Post to Thread