Hot tips for Recording Electric Guitars

Updated
Hot tips for Recording Electric Guitars

Hey everyone!

Thought people here might like to check out my new guide to making awesome electric guitar recordings:

5 Hot Tips for Amazing Electric Guitar Recording

I knwo there are more comprehensive articles out there. What I'm trying to do is condense the core pronciples of great recordings into a brief, easy to read and follow article. Hope you like ti and find it useful. Comments welcome!

Nick

One Flight Up Recording Studios Sydney

Pushead

Nick Irving

My goodness! What a lot of microhpones!

Run me through your setup!

Nick

Nick Irving

7 mics?

Pushead

It's nice to have options.  But the most important ones are the mic directly on the logo of the cabinet, so people can tell you're using a true Mesa cabinet, and a large diaphram condenser directly on the head to capture the vocal qualities of the amp.

Nick Irving

That's gotta be the driest sense of humour I've come across in a long time! Nice one!

Nick Irving

This reminds me of a photo I came across the other day on some studio's website. They had an acoustic guitarist mic'd up with no less than 9 microphones!

Talk about a "scatter gun" approach to recording!

Nick

Pushead

I'll do that if the acoustic is the first element to be recorded.  I'd much prefer to have at least the the percussion or rythm elements recorded first (drums, piano, bass, whatever) to know where the guitar will have to fit sonically in the mix.

But yeah, probably not 9 mics.

Madhat

Have a mic to spare? lol nah  I'm using a AT2020 but i feel it isn't getting good electric guitar tones, i'm gonna switch over to a shure sm57 and see how it goes! 

Nick Irving

Hi Madhat, I hope the 57 works out for you. Another good choice is a Sennheiser MD421.

Nick

www.oneflightup.com.au

Post to Thread