Epiphone les paul 100

Updated
Epiphone les paul 100

Hello eveyone Dark lord matthew here! Anyway i have a epiphone les paul 100 it was around 250$ but it was 300$  something due to shiping and tax when i got i fell in love with the guitar but hated how weak the pickups were. I whould like to know if i should take the emg 81 85 set that i have and put them in my les paul 100 I am by no means a  beginner and am looking to get some higher output pickups in my les paul 100  for a bit more powerfull sound  if you guys guys chould also tell me how to install the emg 81 85 set in my les paul 100 that'd be awesome Stay burtal eveyone bye.

Matthew B.

I got it in Ebony by the way so yeah.. thanks for the help.

Pushead

Here's the same advice I gave you a few months ago when you asked about this:

I always come off as a jerk when people ask about upgrading inexpensive guitars, but it's honest advice:

Don't buy pickups, save the money and put it toward a better guitar.  The benefit of upgraded pickups in that Epi (or sub 100 level LTD) isn't as big as the benefit of a better guitar.  Save the $200 you want to spend on EMGs, save another $200 (heck, sell the Epi for $100) and spend that cash on a higher level guitar.  If you're still in school or living with your parents, it's a bit harder, but the increased quality of the guitar and hardware will be noticable.  There's more value in the used market.

Here, a quick search on ebay, and for less than $400 a significantly better guitar than an Epi 100 (no offense, but a beginner's level guitar isn't the highest in quality) with EMG pickups and a case.

And there are hundreds of other quality options in that rage.  Search your favorite brand and see for yourself.  Heck, search your local Craigslist for something you could see in person.

Don't waste your money upgrading a beginner's guitar.

The G.

EMGs may be a bit too much for that particular guitar, especially bought new. If your bent on actives, give the Dragonfire set a shot. I have their 81 in my M-II and when I had the 81/85, the Dragonfire sounded spot on. Their eBay store has them a little cheaper and free shipping. I can also vouch for DF's Gold Screamers. Livened up my Epi Explorer.

jt76

First thing I would do, if you have not tried this already, is raise the pickups close to the strings -  That will give you a lot more output.  Also you can raise and lower the individual pickup screws to adjust the volume for individual strings.  If you have tried that and still don't have enough output.

An alternate to new pickups - A lot of companies make boost circuits that will increase your output.

for the Emg's

Emg makes Wiring kits,  that you can buy separate from the pickups.   Removed all the currently installed passive electronics.  In install the emg's with the emg kit.I assume it will come with instructions,  if not you should be able to find instructions on the EMG website.

I would agree that you shouldn't upgrade that guitar with those pickups.  However since you already have them, why not get some use out of them. I would save the orginial electronics leave the wiring as intact as possible and save the pickups, put them in a shoe box and store them somewhere. If you want to sell the guitar in the future put original wiring and pickups back in and remove the Emg's and put them in your next guitar as you would not be able to add the value of the Emgs to the used value of that guitar.  

Matthew B.

Hello eveyone i whould just like to sate a few things  one i got a ESP LTD viper vampire biotech sg form this store called sam ash. i'm really not a big fan of the guitar but the emg 81 85 set it has is awesome!  Now  should i consider putting burstbucker pros in that epiphone les paul 100 Now i really don't see how that can be considered a beginers guitar  i mean i payed more then 100$ for it. Now how much do you think i will get if i sold the  viper biotech SG? Thanks for the advice guys it means alot.

Matthew B.

I bought the epiphone les paul 100 off of amazon.

The G.

Look on eBay to get an idea on the price for the SG. If you are going to use the EMGs from that SG, I can scan the install paper later today so you wouldn't have to wait for a reply from EMG.

jt76

VAMPIRE SG WITH EMGS ARE SELLING AROUND $450 NEW

VAMPIRE SG USED SHOULD BRING AROUND $250 - $300

VAMPIRE SG WITHOUT THE EMGS IS PRETTY MUCH WORTHLESS UNLESS YOU FIND SOMEONE WHO LIKES THE ART BUT WANTS PASSIVES. 

$ 100 OR LESS

NEW EMG 81 85 KIT WITH ELECTRONICS KIT IS $200 

I SUGGEST SELLING THE LTD AND BUYING A NEW SET OF EMG'S IT THAT IS REALLY THE ROUTE YOU WANT TO TAKE

IF YOU LIKE THE EMG'S BUT DON'T WANT TO SWITCH TO AN ACTIVE SYSTEM i WOULD CHOOSE DIMARZIO EVOLUTIONS  OR DUNCAN DISTORTIONS 

OVER THE BURSTBUCKERS - BURSTBUCKERS ARE ESSENTIALLY A VINTAGE SPEC PICKUP AND WILL SOUND LIKE THE EPIPHONE PICKUPS BUT MUCH

BETTER QUALITY.  THE BURSTBUCKERS WILL PROBABLY NOT BE AS AGRESSIVE AS YOU WILL WANT. 

SORRY FOR ALL THE CAP I WAS TO FAR INTO THIS TO START OVER  BEFORE I REALIZED I WAS DOING THAT

Post to Thread