Gravity Storm Pickups?

Updated
Gravity Storm Pickups?
I am almost done building a custom JEM, and I was considering using the new Dimarzio Gravity Storm pickups. Anyone try a pair yet? Thoughts? I know there are tons of variables with woods and bridges, but regardless, I wouldn't mind to hear an opinion that isn't from a guitar magazine or Musician's Freund.
jsp

I have the bridge model. I like it. It sounds fat, but not in a saggy or woofy sort of way, and is still responsive in attack and tight on the lows. It's somewhat similar to the Dominion, but with less upper mids and more lower mids and a little bit less pick attack.

jclogston

Just ordered a set for my Ibanez premium rg920m...will update once I get them installed...

jeff

JSHRED

sounds good so far. I've heard good things about Dominion.
Look forward to your feedback jeff.

Thanks

jclogston

sounds good so far. I've heard good things about Dominion.
Look forward to your feedback jeff.

Thanks

Will do..i also have the dominion bridge in another guitar so I can compare/contrast ;)

jclogston

So I finally got around installing the gravity storm set into my rg920m. I also have the dominion/air Norton in my rg2620.
To be honest, the dominion is heavier, better for palm-muting, metal sounds. It is very similar to the Duncan distortion which is my fav bridge pickup.
The gravity storm is not as aggressive, a bit brighter (might be the guitar that its in though) - better suited for rock.

The neck pickup is nice - it is very clear and articulate - both clean and under high gain. I like it a lot, reminds of the air Norton (my fav neck pickup btw) but not as dark. It cleans up well with the volume knob.

Hope this helps, ask away any other questions,

jeff

jsp

You lost me at the Dominion being similar to the Distortion...

JSHRED

Sounds like I'll give the GS pickups a try in my Jem project.
I do like pickups like Duncan Distortions (which is why I'm a big advocate of Blackouts) but I wanted my Jem to be something more about tone and articulation, than brutal palm-muted fury.

I've always been curious about the Dominion. I hear it described so many different ways, which actually only makes me wonder more. If it was a one-trick pony, it would only ever be described one way.

Completely unrelated, next time I'm doing an H-H shredder, I'm probably trying some Bareknuckle Black Hawks. Entirely the opposite of Gravity Storms.

Post to Thread