Buffered Input Question

Updated
Buffered Input Question
I am probably picking up a BBE Sonic Stomp pedal for my Marshall rig sometime in the future and noticed that it says it has a Buffered Input and that got me wondering. My Marshall head is an old JCM800 era Artist 3203 and after some help from some forum members discovered that the amps solid state preamp can't handle input clipping devices (IE distortion pedals). But since the BBE Sonic Stomp is supposed to go last in effect chain I was wondering if it's Buffered Input might allow my Marshall head to handle distortion pedals? Any thoughts?
metalhobo

What do you mean, "can't handle"?

Iron Dog

What do you mean, "can't handle"?

The distortion pedals I have used, a Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem and Digitech Black 13 and Red Special all sound horrible when going through my Marshall rig.

The Twin Tube Mayhem is currently used through my little Marshall MG practice amp, which is a bit of a waste, but sounds 10 times better. I use the Digitech pedals as preamps for recording, which also sound infinitely better than going through my Marshall rig.

I also encountered weird problems with the Marshall such as the tone being very weak or weird volume problems, which a tech couldn't diagnose or replicate. These problems all disappeared when I took the pedals out.

I currently only run a Boss noise supressor, tuner and EQ (the EQ goes through the effect loop) and after my initial post I did some research and found that the Boss pedals use buffered inputs, so I don't think the Sonic Stomp may make any difference, which is too bad as I'd love to be able to run the Twin Tube Mayhem through my Marshall rig.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Shredz

If your amps got an fx loop put the sonic stomp in there, way more effective ;)

Iron Dog

If your amps got an fx loop put the sonic stomp in there, way more effective ;)

That was the plan, I have an old 461 Sonic Maximizer that I used to use with the Marshall, but is now in my rack and that is how I ran it and how I'll be running the Sonic Stomp.

Post to Thread