Rig for home recording

Updated
shredex
What do you guys use for home recording? PC software and all hardware, please. Pics if you can as well. If you've posted it in the current rig thread then there is no need to duplicate - been through most of that thread. It's time to update my rig to something respectable from my current crate solid state. While it's 120W is loud, you can imagine it's a very cheap amp. I use a digitech RP1000 to push out a solid 5150 crunch, and that was about all I needed at the time. Nowadays my focus is more towards recording and apartment playing. No gigging anytime soon. I read a pretty old thread on the forums about solid states yesterday, and saw a lot of gear thrown around. Can you guys shoot me some suggestions for building my first rack capable of producing awesome home recording (deep cleans and crushing gain), and also give me some low to mid level jamming capability? Should I be buying another solid state, or the head/2x12 route? Multiple heads? Give me your best suggestions! Don't hold back on quality or reaching that perfect tone. Gunning for parkway drive (atlas) tones for the most part. Think both guitars sound fantastic.
deus ex machina

What kind of home recording are talking about here?

If it doesn't matter if you have an amp blasting loud, they probably used a tube amp and a 4x12 for the tone on that record. I don't remember if Adam D mixed that one, but it's probably a recto 4x12 and a 5150??

If you can't make tons of noise... the free amp sims (LePou, TSE, Nick Crow) thru impulses are pretty damn good.

shredex

I'm just trying to get the right gear for recording a project between my brother (drums) and I (guitars/bass). There would also be some internet posting/youtube most likely, and I'm not trying to upload garbage. Nothing major expected, but I'd like it to sound respectable, clean cut.

Recto's are all over my local area craigstlist. Anyway, at least for the next 3 years or so I'll be in a close proximity apartment that probably doesn't enjoy PWD as much as I do, so volume will probably need to be kept... tamed. Four or so years though I'll be headed into a house - but that's not the point. Is there any sort of way to have a recto head (or any higher wattage head) limited in output while still pumping out the tone?

Pretty sure my RP1000's pedal just limits the volume of the signal it generates to the speakers. I get the same tone at any volume level. I'm assuming I could do that with a head/cab as well? (never owned a head/cab, btw)

Any suggestions on lower wattage solid states or head/cabs?, in case the other stuff doesn't work out?

shredex

And I'm fairly certain Adam D was with them on horizons? Don't quote me on that though.

Nitrobattery

What's your budget? I'm absolutely thrilled with my Kemper profiling amp. I've been a strictly analog/tube guy for years, and this is the first thing that has ever even piqued my interest as far as going the digital route.

shredex

What's your budget? I'm absolutely thrilled with my Kemper profiling amp. I've been a strictly analog/tube guy for years, and this is the first thing that has ever even piqued my interest as far as going the digital route.

to be honest... i could have ~$900-1000 going towards it to start once i sell a little bit of my gear, and i'd be happy to pump $2k into quality gear to get the perfect sound.

researching a bit more, i'd like to look at preamp type gear. axe fx II and the like...

whats the kemper like?

Trabye

kemper! drool... 

Post to Thread