Decimator G-string vs Rocktron Guitar Silencer?

Updated
Decimator G-string vs Rocktron Guitar Silencer?
They are both true bypass and has the in front + fx loop option. Is the Decimator really worth more than double the price?
ChrisMetal86

I have the Decimator G-String and love it. I keep it on most of the time, even with the clean channels on my amp.. I have not noticed any loss in note sustain or anything like that even on the clean channels. So I am very happy with it. Hope that helps some!

NeedsMoreBlueBell

If you're looking for cheap, then the Rocktron is probably the best to go with. But if you have the cash, by all means get the ISP. You can probably get a used one for around the same price.

JSHRED

I've been looking very seriously at the G String for my rig also. I know a couple pros who use it in their rig and tell me it's the best Noise Gate ever.

If I was going to add one, that's the one I'd go with (especially since I usually have a Wylde Boost and/or Wampler compressor running) but on the subject of price, I totally hear what you're saying.

Explorer45

Thanks for the input guys. The problem is that the used market for this stuff basically doesn't exist here. You can find NS-2s for half the price though. So I can either spend $70 on a used NS-2, buy a new GS for $162, or buy a new G-string for $365.
Is the NS-2 terrible or is it ok for a bedroom warrior?

ChrisMetal86

Thanks for the input guys. The problem is that the used market for this stuff basically doesn't exist here. You can find NS-2s for half the price though. So I can either spend $70 on a used NS-2, buy a new GS for $162, or buy a new G-string for $365.
Is the NS-2 terrible or is it ok for a bedroom warrior?

I thought I only paid $235 for my Gstring brand new 0]

I would suppose the NS2 is ok for bedroom warriors though.. plenty of people use them ;)

load more replies (1 of 1)
Explorer45

Hmm, tough choice. I can get a G-string from ebay for $220 and if I manage to clear customs without the huge tax increase it will be a hell of a lot cheaper than buying one locally. Hopefully they're so overwhelmed during christmas time that my package slips though. :p

Explorer45

Do you need to use the X-connection with the G-string as you do with the NS-2 or is it as simple as guitar-Gstring(guitar in/out)-OD-amp, fx send-Gstring(dec in/out)-fx return?

suttoc

I use the ISP Decimator. I'm not sure what the difference is between the G-String and Decimator, but the Decimator works like a charm for me. And it's a lot cheaper. It's become the most important pedal in my chain. But if the G-String performs anything like the Decimator you can't go wrong there.

EvolutionVII

The g-string has a loop, which I prefer. That's why I'm still using a Boss NS2 with a TS in the loop.

JahnCahduh

I have the original ISP Decimator and I love it. I have it set at the perfect point to draw amp noise out, but no tone or anything. Quiets my 6505+ right down and still lets her get dirty nasty.

EvolutionVII

So do you run it in your FX loop or in front of your amp?

Bas D.

NS-2 works great! No need (for me atleast) to look any further!

Vedran P.

Decimator G-String is probably the best, but more complicated pedal than all the rest noise gates.., but it has it's own loop so it works much better.., I have one.., well, clone of one.., works tons better than mxr and boss pedals I tried before.., silences my hums in a sec, and my basses and preamp really make a lot of hisses and noises of all kind

Alec M.

I've had an NS-2 break on me for no reason, the same thing happened to the other guitarist in my band. I'd recommend the MXR Smartgate, it costs about the same as teh NS-2 and it seems a lot more durable.

Gisornator

I could't get my hands on the Decimator but I only heard good things about it. DevilDriver and Rammstein are using them, too, so it's professional approved ;-).

Post to Thread