EMG 57 / 66 vs Het Set

Updated
EMG 57 / 66 vs Het Set
Ive used EMG 81's, 85's and 60's for a long time, but I recently picked up the Het Set and Im really happy with them in my LTD EXP (pre lawsuit). Now Im thinking about putting the new 57/66 set in one of my EC's, mostly because the brushed chrome finish would be perfect for that particular guitar. Has anybody played both that could tell me how they compare? Im hoping they're pretty similar. I wonder if the 57/66 set are rejects from the 20 or so Het Sets EMG made for James to test out...
Irontusk73

I wonder if the 57/66 set are rejects from the 20 or so Het Sets EMG made for James to test out...

They are the prototype Dave Mustaine set. His contract was ending with Duncan and he heard James talking about how he was developing the JH set at the Big 4 show in Cali. Long story short Duncan and Mustaine renewed the contract and these pickups had no name to be associated with so EMG just released them anyway.

deus ex machina

qicvapKOhCk

:)

The 81 sounds closer to the Het than the 57, IMO.

Road King

When do these come out? I'm always looking to try new EMGs.

BroKV

That 57 sounds good

Tondog

I think they all sound so same that it could be the difference between a little tweak of the amp.

ProfessorExp

Well, I pulled the trigger on a set on ebay, so we'll see... Ill update when they're in.

MV-CTM

His tone is too fuzzy to make a really good decision about it.

ProfessorExp

Got em in. They sound great and the look is perfect for the guitar. Its an LTD EC-256 in Aged Vintage Gold. I hit the hardware with sandpaper to dull it down a little and it all fits together nicely. Ive never been good at describing pickup sounds, but the feeling that comes to mind is the Het Set but with just a little less bite. I'm not a professional, so its pretty hard to tell the difference for me. Im very happy with them.

Explorer45

They do look great, as do the het set.

Post to Thread