Compression

Updated
Compression
OK, I play metal and shred. So yes, go ahead and laugh about that, or about the fact that I've always used a modded Boss compressor as part of my rig. With my supercharged Gambale-style right hand, it just helps give my fast-and-light picking a little more attack and bite. So anyway, I've used my little light blue pedal forever without any complaints, but I've had a couple guys tell me recently that I should pick up a EHX Black Finger, and I'll forget all about my Boss pedal. Anyone else use a compressor for metal / virtuoso shred stuff, and have a favorite pedal? Or anyone use a Black Finger? Or both? Later all \m/
Geetarguy70

My guitarist uses a Keeley compressor man so it's not to uncommon for metal

deus ex machina

I don't really do a lot of shredding, but I've got an MXR Custom Comp and I love it it. :)

Vinny C.

I don't really do a lot of shredding, but I've got an MXR Custom Comp and I love it it. :)

Do a little bit of shredding but I love the custom comp as well. An overall really versatile comp. Gotten a lot of sounds out of it just with the front 2 knobs. Haven't really even played with the internal pots so much.

JSHRED

Yeah, I'll check out the Keeley and the MXR. I already have a couple Zakk pedals in the path, another MXR wouldn't look out of place.
My tone and technique are very close with John Petrucci, and I know he uses a Carl Martin. Never tried one, maybe I'll check that out too.

By the way, I totally agree about tone knobs being useless. :)

Thanks yall

Roidster

i got rid of my compression pedal out of my pedal chain,best thing i ever did,all it did was add noise to my signal chain and killed all the dynamics,after talking to ex megadeth guitarist Jeff Young,and few other guitarist in the same thread,and being in a Iron Maiden Tribute band,i needed my tone to be a cloae to Dave Murray tone,and now i have the peice of mind tone down on my rig

Shredatron

I knew a guitar player who uses a Boss Cmp pedal and it sounds pretty good too. If you're happy with it then stick with it. Others can suggest whatever pedal works for them but it might not for you.

AKSSARAA

I always use compressor before the pre amp. This way I can get super crunchy metal / hard rock tone without losing the "glue" while playing.

By using compressor it evens out the playing dynamic a bit. So the signal going to the prea amp is more consistant. You will feel that "glue" when u riffing around or playing lead. It sounds like not so much gain and really crunchy, BUT, its still not that hard to play and you still have a lot of sustain.

Your tone will be cleaner and crunchier with less fizzness and noise. It's good for recording and live too, as you want that really detailed playing without too much saturation that will turn up as mud. The downsides are you need to play better and really sync , sometimes you feel like your tone got not enough saturation, but you can always add a bit more gain to increase the saturation.

For your qustion, I'm using POD HD500 build it compressors. Mainly 'Boost Comp' and 'Vetta comp'.The 'Boost Comp' acts as compressor, mid focus EQ pedal and booster at the same time. The 'Vetta comp' is awesome too, I can directly switch to clean channel without turning off that pedal and still have good dynamic without too much "glue" while on clean channel.

Rikki Tikki Tavi

I'm still undecided about compression with distortion. So for the Dave Murray tone, no compression, right? Have heard others (mates) use it with good results. Just seems to take away more than it gives whenever I've tried it.

AKSSARAA

the trick is to use late attack compressor so your natural pick attack is preserved. i prefer xotic compressor with blend in feature. with compressor, u can add glue and sustain w/o gain up ur distortion. the result is very crunchy sound with a lot of string separation  

Plus, you can do seemsless transition between riffing and soloing without need to switch channels, since your crunch sound got a lot of sustain.

Post to Thread