Behringer VT-100FXH Head

Updated
Behringer VT-100FXH Head
I'm young, on a budget, have a Spider IV 75, want something different. I know everyone hates on Behringer, but I've used a lot of their pedals and find them decent. So anyone wanna chime in on the quality/sound of the VT100 head? I play Metallica, and I roll back the gain a little for some RATM, I use a pretty heavy distortion, and Kirk Hammett-y clean (twangy, little chorus) and a Boosted solo channel, with a little more gain 100-Watt, 2-channel "Revolutionary VTC Virtual Tube Circuitry gives you the sound and feel of an authentic tube amp" dual digital FX processors with chorus/delay, chorus, flanger, delay plus separate reverb 2 full-featured channels 2 switchable modes on each channel: Clean/Crunch on the Clean and OD1/OD2 on the Overdrive channel Independent Bass, Mid and Treble tone controls on each channel Contour control for radical midrange sweep—from traditional to scooped modern FX loop fr external effects devices (rack effects, stomp boxes, wah-wah pedals, etc.) Dual footswitch FS112VT for Channel selection and FX bypass included Begin.
NeedsMoreBlueBell

Thats a good price, especiay since it has the included footswitch, which is hard as tits to find. But in my experience, a pedal was needed. Kirk Windstein and Dimebag also used some help (Kirk used a Metal Zone as an overdrive for the gain channel and Dimebag used a grahic eq pedal and a rackmounted parametric eq..)

My favorite budget metal head is the Ibby TBX150H. Can be found used pretty cheap. Some others are the Crate Gx130c and Crate Excallibur. Ive seen the GX900s and GX2200s go really cheap and they can get really heavy. Worlds better than modern Crate stuff.

deus ex machina

On a tight budget, I'd consider an old Marshall Valvestate. Really good-sounding amps for how much they go for these days:

jq67BZgWZPk

Not perfect-sounding, but for how much you can find them used these days, they pack a lot of tone.

IMO, a hell of a safer bet than *most* Crate and Behringer stuff.

Even though I'm not the biggest fan of Spider amps, a Behringer modeling/digital head would be a downgrade from a Line 6 amp. Big time.

Velt017

Yeah, those old valvestates are pretty cool... The heads, not the combos.

Shaun

Wow a lot of them on ebay are buyitnow 250! sounds cheap! are they a lower end marshall? I'll look through a few reviews

mihnea

The first valvestate series were decent amps, until they started making them stereo and then the second valvestate series which were like the vs265 and so on. A first series VS100 head plugged into a decent 4x12 cabinet will sound more than decent enough and those things do go for cheap.

Shaun

are the Marshall MG's a no-no around here? They seem to go for pretty cheap

mihnea

MG wtf is that?

Shaun

google them?
and theres a Randall RH-150 Head at my local GuitarCenter for $279, good deal? theyre apparently BUILT for metal

deus ex machina

MG and Valvestate are a whole different league of amps.

Older VS's were made in England. Don't know where these MG's are made, but not England, more than likely China.

Valvestates have a preamp tube which doesn't quite get it sounding like a JCM800 or something, but it does warms up the sound a little bit. MG's are full-on solid-state. MG's aren't really all that much better than your cheapo generic solid-state amp, IMO.

Valvestates are cheap nowadays because they're old and discontinued.

If you're aiming Randall... the RH150... is that a G3? If so, then it might be a good idea as well. Those were pretty decent heads too. The low-end is a little difficult to tame on those (lots and lots of huge fat low-end if you're not conservative with how you set the bass knob), but it can definitely be a good option.

Shaun

So the only downfall of the randall head is that i really love some chorus on my clean, but i dont want to turn on a pedal everytime i switch channels!
Is there any good metal amp that has a chorus? (Without being a comeplete modeling amp)

deus ex machina

Some of the Valvestates actually did.

Shaun

crate gx130c head.
apparently a brutal distortion amp, has a built in chorus. alot are around 100 bucks!

NeedsMoreBlueBell

If its good enough for Cannibal Corpse.... :p

The RH150 is also an awesome head, but make sure its the G3 Plus, not the regular G3.

deus ex machina

If its good enough for Cannibal Corpse.... :p

The RH150 is also an awesome head, but make sure its the G3 Plus, not the regular G3.
Why's that?

I don't think there's THAT big of a difference between the two, TBH.

Hell, a G2 was even good enough by my standards. I was in a band where one guitarist was using a 6505+ and the other a 100-watt Randall G2 (with chorus, actually), and while it's not hard to figure out that the 6505 was all-around better-sounding (for the style of music we were playing), the Randall would very well hold its own against it.

Other than that... the Crate... meh. It can be alright. There's better, tho.

That clip of the B52 sounds nice. Isn't the AT100 quite a bit more expensive than all of the amps being discussed here? I thought it was around the 600-700 dollar range.

Shaun

The Crate GX130c has chorus, thats the kicker.

Shaun

What about the "Flexwave" series by Crate? the head has a few effects (including chorus) aswell as 3 channels. clean, rhythm, and lead.
...I like this one too

NeedsMoreBlueBell

What about the "Flexwave" series by Crate? the head has a few effects (including chorus) aswell as 3 channels. clean, rhythm, and lead.
...I like this one too

I swear to god, if you get the Flexwave, I will go to your house, break in your door, and set fire to your amp

Joking aside, the. Flexwave is TERRIBLE. And why not get a cheap chorus pedal like the Dano FAB chorus and a reliable amp? You will have to switch it off manually, but youll get used to it.

Post to Thread