EMG chrome covered...brighter?

Updated
EMG chrome covered...brighter?
Have any of you guys experienced chrome covered EMG's being brighter sounding than regular EMG's? I just got a Schecter Hellraiser Extreme and dig the look of the chrome covered pickups, but will be swapping out the 81/89 combo for dual 85's. Maybe it's just my imagination, but they seem to be a little brighter sounding than the regular versions. Is this just my imagination or have any of you experienced this as well. I'd go for black chrome 85's, but if they are in fact brighter, I'll just go with regular 85's.
WildeStarr

I have 2 sets of the Chromes, and several of the regular black. I don't really think they sound any different, but the chromes sure look nice. Personally, I think you are downgrading if you go from an 81/89 to an 85/85. Just my opinion.

:cool:

NeedsMoreBlueBell

I say change out the 81 only. Why change out the 89 if it's basically the 85? :p

Hell, switch out the 81 for an 89 and have uber versatility.

Nitrobattery

The 89 is close to an 85, but not quite the same. It lacks some of the balls. As far as coil tapping, that's why I have Strats. To me, a coil tapped EMG humbucker just sounds like a shittier EMG humbucker.

Road King

I have several guitars with chrome EMGs. They sound the same as the black ones to me. I wish they would release the 89s and SAs in chrome.

load more replies (1 of 1)
WildeStarr

The 89 is close to an 85, but not quite the same. It lacks some of the balls. As far as coil tapping, that's why I have Strats. To me, a coil tapped EMG humbucker just sounds like a shittier EMG humbucker.

always blaming the gear.....

;)

my 89R's sound great in both modes.

load more replies (1 of 1)
deus ex machina

Do they make black chrome 85's?

NeedsMoreBlueBell

Do they make black chrome 85's?

Nope, just the Het Set. Only other EMGs that come close is the black brushed aluminum 81X/60X, and it's more grey than black.

deus ex machina

Err... I don't doubt they sound good too, but it's a fact that 89's in humbucker mode don't sound exactly the same as 85's. For starters, they pump out less low-end. He obviously likes 85's better, and he probably doesn't need a single coil mode, what's wrong with that?

:)

jsp

I think the black ones would look better anyway.

NeedsMoreBlueBell

Do you happen to listen to a lot of Thin Lizzy, Whitesnake, and Blue Murder? :p

WildeStarr

Do you happen to listen to a lot of Thin Lizzy? :p

Hell yeah. They are a huge influence on me.

Post to Thread