Wah/Crybaby Shootout.

Updated
TonyFlyingSquirrel
Did a search, only found a few one on one comparisons, thought I'd make a poll for tangible numbers. Cast your votes for favorite selection, & feel free post why you picked one over any/all others.
gorsch

I just dont think the EVH sounds that different from a standard 535q. And not to discredit him at all, but he isnt afraid to just throw his name on things it seems. The Phaser and flanger I can see him "deserving" cuz he had a signature tone going on. But I dont think I ever said "god that wah tone is great" when I hear EVH. Satch..... does have my interest but looks to "toyish."

Lots rave about the Budda Wah's for hard rock/classic rock/funk. Never tried one personally tho. I have owned the ZW, Dunlop classic, 535Q, Vox original wah, and a Vox reissue (the $69 one is the same as the $69 dunlop, just different casing).

Other I used for a long time yet never owned personally were the Vox Clyde McCoy, Dunlop 95Q, Morley Bad Horsie 1&2 and the Ibanez Weeping Demon. I had a Wah problem at one point. Now it's on to overdrives and fuzzes.

jsp

Kirk wah for me. I don't take my wah tone too seriously, and I love how exaggerated it is.

deus ex machina

I like the Wylde Wah and the DFH Wah.

They're just Wahs... :p

Tsinthegame

I'm an admitted wah junkie and I've played many wahs over the years. I currently own a 95Q wah, a Hammett wah and a CAE wah. And I'm really looking at purchasing either a Bonamassa or Cantrell wah as my 4th (leaning more towards the Bonamassa as it has a halo inductor).

For playing live, I always use my KH wah. IMO, it's the most balanced pedal throughout the full sweep of the rocker pedal. Also, it does not get shrill in the toe position. It is for my purposes, the best wah tone.

That being said, a very close second IMO is the CAE wah. It's definitely the most versatile wah I've played. True bypass, two fasel inductors which are fully adjustable and an included boost line/ line driver (which can make this wah really loud) are really what sets this thing apart from the pack. If you don't know what you want in a wah, this would be the one to get as it can really do it all, from clean to high gain. Dunlop really hit a home-run with this one.

imprinted

I've got the EVH wah, it's good with a really cutting tone in the mix but I'm finding it's a bit shrill in the top end like a lot of wahs here. Tried the Cantrell wah and have to say I didn't like the feel of the pedal, trying to engage the pedal felt a bit spongy and slow to go on. The sound itself was lovely, classic Cantrell tone for certain but the switch was awful and it immediately put me off of it!

Quite interested in trying the Dragon2 Wah as I quite like the samples I've heard of it and I always like Dev's Bad Horsie wah tone so it's on the list as well!

TonyFlyingSquirrel

I've got the EVH wah, it's good with a really cutting tone in the mix but I'm finding it's a bit shrill in the top end like a lot of wahs here. Tried the Cantrell wah and have to say I didn't like the feel of the pedal, trying to engage the pedal felt a bit spongy and slow to go on. The sound itself was lovely, classic Cantrell tone for certain but the switch was awful and it immediately put me off of it!

Quite interested in trying the Dragon2 Wah as I quite like the samples I've heard of it and I always like Dev's Bad Horsie wah tone so it's on the list as well!

Maybe the particular Cantrell you tried just has a bad switch. Demo'd gear at Guitarget always takes a bad beating. I doubt it's indicative of all Cantrell switches.

Velt017

If it was on the floor at a guitar store, you can't take that switch into consideration. That thing was probably stepped on by ever fat fuck that walked in there. I had an original crybaby that I used extensively for like 10 years, towards the end of its life getting it to click on was setting the pedal on a pillow and trying to turn it on. Switches wear out.

Explorer45

Didn't vote since I've only tried the Crybaby Original, Mister, 535Q, and KH. Out of the four the KH wins hands down.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Well, looks like it's safe to say that the pick of the board is the Hammet Wah.

load more replies (1 of 1)
hellride

My fav' wasn't listed. Morley Dragon wah. George Lynch rocks :)

TonyFlyingSquirrel

My fav' wasn't listed. Morley Dragon wah. George Lynch rocks :)

Do tell, what's unique about it & sets it apart from the rest?

load more replies (1 of 1)
TonyFlyingSquirrel

Finally got a chance to tryout the Bonamassa & the Cantrell.

While I think the Bonamassa is nice, it's just not what I'm looking for.

The Cantrell on the other hand, is completely what I'm looking for, very expressive throughout the entire range. Not harsh in the upper extremities at all.

The trim pot on the side is a nice feature, but honestly, its perceived impact is subjective.

Definitely on my G.A.S. list now.

Gear Orphanage

I like the Budda Wah! and the Fulltone Clyde!  I find that different amp and guitar setups call for different wahs.  Anyone else have this experience.  I also have a Vox Vintage. I would say the Budda!   J

Danny K.

I'm torn between the wylde wah and the dimebag wah. Somebody help me choose!

Big Daddy B

I haven't played the Wylde but I have the dimebag and like it a lot. It is pretty versatile with the adjustable sweep so if you are playing with a band and your sound is getting lost in the mix you can change the frequency to make it stand out more. At least that's why I like it so much, the versatility. For my home rig I use the Hammett KH-95.

Metaddict

+1 for the Dimebag.

A few weeks ago i got the EMB Pedal Wah. This rules them all.Period!

Danny K.

I'm torn between the crybaby from hell, Zakk wylde model, and the slash wah. Help me choose please.

Metaddict

The Dime Wah is more flexible than the other ones that you mentioned.

ESPEXP

Dime Wah is the best wah IMO

Post to Thread