Got My Blackstar Head!

Updated
Got My Blackstar Head!
Ok, I received my new ht Studio 20w head yesterday and played the hell out of it last night. This is my first valve amp so I have a question: is it normal to have what sounds like 60 cycle hum even though I use emgs? Is it possible for the cabinet to cause it? And finally, my house is old and the outlets aren't grounded, would grounding them stop the amp buzz? Thanks
Zorlac

post a clip bro. really wanna buy one of this but there arnt any local for me to try out.

Murdoc

Ok, let me put it this way:

Does anybody have a hum or buzz in their overdrive channel?

I know I always have but I always used solid state amps.

This is my first tube amp and I was wondering if it was because of the

outlets not being grounded that's all.

timdingo

Yeh I got some hum going on on the OD channel of my Blackstar at home, but I'm pretty sure it's caused by crappy pedal wiring 'cause when playing directly in the amp it's not there.

ChrisTM

I think you answered your own question dude.

The house is old and the outlets aren't grounded.

Murdoc

I think you answered your own question dude.

The house is old and the outlets aren't grounded.
I'm just brainstorming to myself what it can be.

I've never heard an amp that was quiet on od channel. Even in locations

where there is ground, or when I run a dedicated ground at home.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Sixstringhotshot

60hz is frequency your 120v wall outlet runs at...seems pretty clear to me.

Could it be the shitty speaker cab? Sure. It could also be the shitty wiring in your house. The unavoidable byproduct of gain is noise, so yes all amps will make some kind of hiss/hum/whatever. A grounded power source will help this dramatically, but if your house is so old it has no grounds the wiring it does have is probably shot too. You'll probably always have noise through your amp.

Murdoc

60hz is frequency your 120v wall outlet runs at...seems pretty clear to me.

Could it be the shitty speaker cab? Sure. It could also be the shitty wiring in your house. The unavoidable byproduct of gain is noise, so yes all amps will make some kind of hiss/hum/whatever. A grounded power source will help this dramatically, but if your house is so old it has no grounds the wiring it does have is probably shot too. You'll probably always have noise through your amp.
Okay, so the hum-debugger that is for eliminating hum probably won't work for this problem? How about like the ISP G-String? Or Noise Gate?

load more replies (1 of 1)
shathe

just buy a new house...

Josiah T.

just buy a new house...
+1

Post to Thread