Battery box for Eclipse?

Updated
Congee
I recently purchased an Eclipse Custom and I'm thinking about installing a battery box to reduce the wear and tear of future battery changes. I'm considering doing something similar to what WildeStarr did in a previous post. There isn't much room behind the Eclipse backplate cavity (which houses the pots and battery) so it looks like I would need to install it flat like WildeStarr did in his LPs. My plan is to purchase a new backplate from GPDUSA then fit in a battery box like the "flat mount 9V battery box w/hidden screws" from Guitar Parts Resource. I'm confident the backplate from GPDUSA will fit my EC since I called them and confirmed the plate dimensions. The thing I'm not too sure about is the battery box. Has anyone has installed a battery box into an Eclipse II/custom? If so I'd love to know what you used.
xZYRYABx

battery needs to be changed around once a year, is it really worth all this effort vs unscrewing 4 screws?!

WildeStarr

battery needs to be changed around once a year, is it really worth all this effort vs unscrewing 4 screws?!

No, but its a cool project.

:cool:

Congee

I'm not concerned about the effort it takes to turn the 6 screws, it's the wear and tear the wood screws will do to the body. If you do it enough times then the wood screws will eventually strip and you'll need to use wood filler to repair it.
I also play my guitar a lot so I suspect I will need to change batteries 3-4 times a year.

ChrisTM

I suspect I will need to change batteries 3-4 times a year.

No.

deus ex machina

Honestly, if you play it as much so you have to change batteries three or four times a year, there's stuff that will be worn out much sooner than the screw holes for the back cover.

WildeStarr

Honestly, if you play it as much so you have to change batteries three or four times a year, there's stuff that will be worn out much sooner than the screw holes for the back cover.

True, but see post 4.

Congee

Yeah I really don't know how long the 9v battery will last. I've always had passive pickups before this one; my previous guitar for the last 3 years was a standard eclipse with JB/59's. The tech at the music store said the batteries would last around 3 months, so that means about 4 a year.
At any rate, I like to tinker with my stuff and as WildeStarr said in post 4 it's a cool project.
I'm going to give it a go after the holidays and post pics after it's done.

WildeStarr

As long as you use a good quality alkaline 9V, you should get more then 3 months out of it. Of course it all depends on how much/often you play the guitar. I change mine about twice a year. And, make sure the cord is unplugged when not using the guitar so you don't drain the battery.

TheShortestStruuaaww

Play my explorer every day, I've had it for a year, and the battery supplying the EMGs hasn't been replaced once.

ryanplagues

It probably could use a new one then. I don't usually notice until the battery is almost dead but there's definitely a noticeable tone loss when the battery is on it's last legs.

Post to Thread