blackstar amps

Updated
formoutofchaos
i was back ordered on the 5HT-R so i took home the 1 watt with the head speaker combo, originally i played the 20 watt with a mxr fullbone pedal and it was thick and strong , this 1 w sounds weak with the same pedal, and i wonder if im gonna feel that way about the 5w?????? any experience???? the amps overdrive is not enough for me i run the pedal through the clean channel , but even then it wasn't what i thought it was compared to the 20watt????
sirsloop

Well I have a HT-5... you can definitely get some gain outta it, but alone its really much better off as a rock (think AC/DC) style amp. If you put a OD on the gain channel, or distortion pedal on the clean channel it does very well. The clean channel breaks up (a lot) when you crank it, so you'll get the tube feel out of your distortion pedals. Now as far as overall power... not so much umph there. Its loud and all, but does not have any balls behind it. Ends up sounding kinda thin compared to like a 50 or 100W head. I mean my 120W randall RG100 will make my house shake where as the HT-5 is just loudish. Lacks the drive to push the cones (and create bass).

Explorer45

The new HT-5R is supposed to have more gain than the previous HT-5. Link for a read
Also, I wonder how Ola Englund gets the metal tone out of the original HT-5. Does he use effects in the PP or can you actually get this much gain from it?

aynUeOnDl60

ammar

The OP's post sounds very familiar, you posted that in the Blackstar forums as well?

Well, either ways, the HT-5R is a High Gain amp, replace the stock 12AX7 with high gain tube like the JJ ECC83s and you can even get more gain. I like over driving the OD on the Blackstars really bring the best out of it.

If you lied the 20 go for it, it is not crazy loud compared to the HT5. wattage makes minimal volume difference AFAIK.

:)

deus ex machina

The new HT-5R is supposed to have more gain than the previous HT-5. Link for a read
Also, I wonder how Ola Englund gets the metal tone out of the original HT-5. Does he use effects in the PP or can you actually get this much gain from it?

aynUeOnDl60
He has a Maxon OD808 next to the head.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Explorer45

Ammar, have you tried changing the stock tubes? Did it make much of a difference in gain?

ammar

I change all pre amp tubes on my stage 60. Made a significant difference in gain, clarity and took care of the high end harshness. I don't own the ht 5.

Explorer45

Difference in gain as in more of it? Have you tried Tung Sols?

ammar

Difference in gain as in more of it? Have you tried Tung Sols?

Yes I did, and I liked the JJ ECC83s better. The Stage 60 is a High Gain amp, so I cant tell if I got more gain after swapping the pre amp, but for sure it was clearer more punchy and smoother.

When I had the HT-5 briefly, GT-OD in front got me all the damn gain I wanted.

load more replies (1 of 1)
sirsloop

I changed the 12AX7 in my HT5 and I didn't think it made any real difference.

The youtube video posted ^ sounds great and all, but its multiple tracks, drums, bass... its a full sound that you are not going to be getting from ANY guitar alone. If you listen to the solo parts, there really is not all that much gain in there. Its just a straight up OD sound lead tone.

jsp

On mine, I don't go past 11:00 or so on the gain with a boost in front. Gain is not an issue with these amps.

.dave

I have an HT-5 and a green pedal is absolutely necessary if you want a tight crunch. It sounded like muddy garbage to me without it. I mostly play it through the clean channel with a fuzz box for stoner/doom tones these days though, sounds pretty ballsy.

sirsloop

Yeah the "clean" channel with a pedal sounds awesome cause you still get tube breakup on top of the the pedal distortion.

sirsloop

yeah I think whats up is I turn the bass knob up to get better bass response, by ear, in the room. That results in too much bass when you put a mic 2" in front of the cabinet. I'll try again like tonight and reduce the bass on it. I think im also gonna try an overdrive on the HT-5... bad monkey or something. I had a $50 groupon for GC... so a bad monkey will only cost me 25 bucks.

Post to Thread