Hefield Signiture EMG's

Updated
Hefield Signiture EMG's
Anyone tried the new het EMG's? Interested in knowing if the claim to get active power of 81 and 60 with the clarity of a passive is achieved.
Justinschut

What sucks is that it's "you're" and not "your" and that that's not him in the video

Harvesterofsorrow1199

What sucks is that it's "you're" and not "your" and that that's not him in the video

wow somebody got butthurt :rollin
can we get back to the subject plz, thanks

zombieattack9

we just like correct spelling and grammar round' these parts son :p

Harvesterofsorrow1199

we just like correct spelling and grammar round' these parts son :p
yeah i see that lol, in my defence my first language is french :p
oh and dont call me son plz, im too old for that

load more replies (2 of 2)
Newfs

So I had some issues with 2 High E strings on my sets of DRs. Long story short I took a ride out to get 2 packs of Slinkys.

Im still doing some trial and error with recording the JH pickups. So far I really like them. You cant use the same settings you would use with you standard 81/60 setup. If you do the neck will have too much low end and sound too hot and flabby. For the neck I had to dial back on the gain and bass quite a bit.

I cant remember if my 81 sounded like this but with my amp on clean and set to the bridge pickup, the guitar sounds like a dirty channel.

When I switch to my Gain channel, lets just say its ballzy. I wonder if this is Papa Hetz' solution to boosting an amp (built into a pickup), no pedals required.

My wife told me she would take the kids out for a couple hours over the weekend - So Im hoping do get a couple hours of playing in and should be able to get a decent recording of them.

To anyone who is buying these. Leave the protective plastic on until you have completely set them up. I just touched them with my string gauge ruler and they scratched a little. :(. I guess EMG went a little cheap on the paint.

shathe

mine didn't come with protective covers...
or a battery, although it looks like there is a special compartment in the box for one.
also, the magnets on one of the pus were all chipped to hell...:\

itsallinmyh3ad

The sound is good...But goddamn, for some reason I wanted to stop playing the video when I heard that intro riff a semitone lower. :lol

Pushead

He's just asking for flaming with that video.

actionshark

I like the sound, not the playing or the video though.

loversmoon

isnt that the point of the video?? for the sound of the hetfield pickup?

Newfs

One of Metallica's slower songs and he's still alternate picking/strumming...:| to each their own I guess.

My idea of a demo is that everyone wants to hear what they sound like, not what I can play and does it sound good with a backing track.

Im just going to do some chuggin, palm muting, galloping, chords, some nice cleans with BOTH bridge and neck pickups, pinch harmonics, then maybe a couple riffs without backing tracks.

Newfs

Just a update an the JH set.

I finally got my amp back in running order. And after a few short jams with my everything working I look and the paint is wearing off the damn bridge pickup where I mute the E string...

I like the pickup, but my god the paint is like shit on these. I sent EMG support a complaint about these new JH pickups and the quality of the paint. Im curious to what they say.

cecilbag

Those must be from the new "instant relic" series. So how different do they sound from the 60/81 set?

Newfs

To me, the 81 has more bite, a bit more gain/ouptut, and more attack/punch. Not a complete different pickup but a nice flavor of the 81.

To be honest, I havent used the 60 from the original or the new JH set enough to tell a difference.

The good thing about the paint issue is that EMG is sending me a new set. They have been having some issues with company they are using for the electroplating of the finish. Supposedly, most are fine but some are not bonding properly.

EMG is sending me a new set free of charge. What an awesome company to deal with! Thanks EMG!

actionshark

To me, the 81 has more bite, a bit more gain/ouptut, and more attack/punch. Not a complete different pickup but a nice flavor of the 81.

To be honest, I havent used the 60 from the original or the new JH set enough to tell a difference.

The good thing about the paint issue is that EMG is sending me a new set. They have been having some issues with company they are using for the electroplating of the finish. Supposedly, most are fine but some are not bonding properly.

EMG is sending me a new set free of charge. What an awesome company to deal with! Thanks EMG!
Do you get to keep your old ones too?

load more replies (1 of 1)

Don't be surprised if you have the same issue with the new ones. Be interesting to hear your feedback.

Newfs

Well, the EMG rep said he personally found them in stock and tested the paint for proper bonding.

Hes only sending me the pickups themselves, not the kit as I only requested the pickups. Im not using the hardware that comes with the set.

actionshark

Did you get them back yet?

Newfs

Im hoping they should up today. They cleared customs on monday.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Newfs

great comparison vid.

Im not gonna lie, I cant wait to get my JH set back so I can take my 81/60s out.

Justinschut

Just put the last part of the link (after v=) between youtube and /youtube, with of course

46h4YBd9Hmk

Justinschut

In the vid the JH set usually sounds better, but then sometimes the 81 sounds much better.. Kinda hard to tell tho cuz the sound isn't that great. Don't know if it's just the fact that it's recorded with an iPhone or also the settings on the amp.

The JH's seem to have more bass, based on the vid

Post to Thread