New Amp Help!

Updated
dimebagfan01
What's up guys. So after having a few band practices with everyone (minus the bass player for now) I've found that my Peavey VK100 just doesn't cut it in a band situation. It won't cut-through and I've tried a few tricks to help it and it's not as up front as I want it to be. My solution is to get a new amp altogether and keep the VK100 as a back-up and use it for recording cleans. My question to you is what amp should I get? I'm looking for a high-gain head under 150w that has decent cleans and will cut through nicely. Price range is under $1,000 (I don't mind used gear). My cab is an old '80s Marshall 1960B 4x12 (stock). I'm leaning towards getting a Peavey 5150 or 6505 because of the price and because two of my favorite bands (Trivium and Machine Head) use them. Any recommendations or help is appreciated!
cecilbag

For a grand you can find a dual or triple rectifier from mesa. I have no problems with 5150/6505 but I prefer Mesa for both clean and rhythm. I do think the lead sound with the peavey is killer but try stuff out and see what works for you

gorsch

how can you not cut through? My other guitarist has one with a 1960 straight cab that has kept up fine with my 5150II, XXX, and Hughes and Kettner. Also my buds Triple recto, Splawn Nitro, Engl Powerball and a Splawn Quick-rod I used briefly.

It's 100 watts man. If thats not cutting you guys need to think about re-EQing as a band.....not individuals. The Valveking is a great amp for the $$ and I preferred it over my 5150II and XXX to be honest. 'Cept the 5150II brought "The Brutz" better.

Tegamal

If thats not cutting you guys need to think about re-EQing as a band.....not individuals.
This. A lot of people get this really beefy tone on youtube & the like, but when it comes to a full band situation, they don't cut through. Try bumping up the mids some, you'll be surprised at what a difference it makes.

StimoS

Ya those are some loud amps. I would agree with Tegmal on this one. Try boosting your mids or get an eq pedal or rack. Makes a world of a difference. Other than that I think all mesa peavy marshall and all make great amps and its all on how you want to use them. I personally really want an engl retro 100 that i played a week ago but i dont think getting one for a grand is possible yet.

Post to Thread