Recommend to me a hot P90

Updated
SGCustom
I decided to go full retard and gut my 3-pickup SG Special and tone down to a single bridge P90. I really like a warm vinatgey midrange tone, but want something with high output. Any suggestions?
slovakzombiehero

I know Dimarzio makes a bunch of P90s that are basically P90 versions of their humbuckers. SD makes "hot" P90s. I know they make a quarter-pound P90 for Jazzmasters, too, but I'm not sure if they make regular ones.

Sixstringhotshot

I know Dimarzio makes a bunch of P90s that are basically P90 versions of their humbuckers.

They'll make anything you want in their custom shop. I paid $100 a pop for some custom order Super 3 P90s.

SGCustom

Thanks for the recommendations, guys!

I think I might go for the Bareknuckle. I've been hearing nothing but good reviews about them and they sound pretty damn close to what I want.

BLS

Bare Knuckle - Pig 90
Bare Knuckle - Super Massive 90
Motor City Pickups - The Motormouth
Lollar Overwound P-90 Soap Bar Pickups
Seymour Duncan - Hot Soapbar SP90-2

Zilla

I REALLY like the BK Pig 90. I also really dig the overwound lollars.

SGCustom

I REALLY like the BK Pig 90. I also really dig the overwound lollars.

How chunky was it? Being such a high-gain PU, I'm weary that it might sound too much like a humbucker.

Jeremy

I know that this thread was from last year but I just played a couple guitars w p-90 ESP pickups and really like that sound. If I get some what do you guys think would be a good set for a slide set up so I can get lots of sustain?

Also I'll have to have a guitar guy here at the local shop do the work, are most of the p-90's the same size or will I have to trust the guy to make it fit? That makes me a little nervous.

Thanks again
Jeremy

deus ex machina

Nah, P90's are standard-sized, just like humbuckers...

If it's not P90-sized, people don't usually call it "P90", lol.

Unless it's a humbucker-sized P90...

imprinted

Not strictly true Hugo - you can get Dog Ear P90's as well as the Soap Bar in addition to the Humbucker housed ones.

deus ex machina

Oh! Yeah, forgot about those... my bad.

Post to Thread