Boss GT-8

Updated
Tegamal
Can it switch channels on a 5150 212, I seem to remember hearing it could.
Murdoc

You mean use the GT-8 as a channel select switch?

Tegamal

Like if I want my first patch to be my clean & the 2nd would be lead, the GT-8 would switch the patch & channel with one button.

EDIT: Let me rephrase that. I heard you could plug into the GT-8, & run the unit in the effects loop for your green & red channels, but you could also set up a patch to bypass the 5150 preamp, & just run your signal through the amp's return, therefor just using the power section, & get a crystal clean sound that way.

Anyone know if this is possible? I know some higher end units can.

Murdoc

I believe that the effects loop is for all effects EXCEPT distortion. If you put distortion in through the send and return it will be much too saturated. I would use your GT-8 right in the input on clean channel. Then keep your amp's channel select close by to switch to it's distortion channel if you want. That is the way I have my Boss ME-50, so I can use it's many distortions or my amp's distortion.

Tegamal

Yeah, thanks to a few PMs from sk3tch3dx, I found out that I can change channels with it, but the output selection is global, not by patch.

I've seen people run an effects processor into their amp's return, without any gain or amp models, to get a super clean sound. I thought because the GT-8 has an output selection option, it might have been selectable by patch & therefor would allow the unit's input/output to work like a pass-through.

Oh well, the channel switcher was the more important feature, the output would have just been a bonus. Still a pretty good unit, just need another $60 or so to pick one up.

JeffDunne

Yes, it can. I run a GT-8 in 4-cable method with my 5150 head.

Gain from the 5150, clean (or other) amp models + FX + channel switching (programmed into patch changes) via the GT-8. Works a treat!

Have a look on GC's used section - I got mine for $215 shipped.

Tegamal

Yes, it can. I run a GT-8 in 4-cable method with my 5150 head.

Gain from the 5150, clean (or other) amp models + FX + channel switching (programmed into patch changes) via the GT-8. Works a treat!

Have a look on GC's used section - I got mine for $215 shipped.
Wow, cool, straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak! :lol Yeah, been looking there, saw a few for $199. I got $140 in my personal stash I was planning to use on another rifle, but I'd rather have this.

Ok, so do you run it like I mentioned before? How do you hook it up to the guitar/amp/etc?

Thanks for all of the info, guys! Keep it coming!

Tegamal

I think it mainly depends on the type of jack your foot switch has. The GT-10 has a Amp control jack that (correct me if I'm wrong) is the same size as a 1/4" cable, like the foot switch of the 5150. The dual rec has a multi-pin jack, if I'm not mistaken, so I don't believe it'll work (again, correct me if I'm wrong).

cecilbag

your right on the mesa being a midi connection for its footswitch but the gt10 has midi also. i just thought there was a way to be able to run the boss with the mesa to change channels and say add an effect to the loop of the amp (delay, chorus, whatever) all with one click on the boss rather than a click on the mesa controller and the boss. i havent had much time to mess with it yet i just thought this was something perhaps you had tried thanks anyways im sure its in the huge manual lol

Tegamal

Like I said, I could be wrong. I haven't used either unit yet, I'm just asking because I think the GT-8 is what I need.

Maybe someone with more experience could shed some light on the subject for you.

cecilbag

I hear you man I really do love some of the tones I've been able to get out of my gt10 but I'm having difficulty finding killer lead tones out of it. I think they're powerful I'm just not good enough with dialing in what I really need. I've been just using it for practice at home through my old peavey bandit 65 and really dig the rhythm and clean tones but if I could figure out how to use it to change channels and add effects with my live setup I'd really be excited

Tegamal

6l_NYxTEnz8

I love how it sounds here! I like tinkering with patches & such, so I'm sure I'll be playing for a long time before I'm satisfied with anything.

cecilbag

that is a killer clip. holy shit that guy is tearing that suhr apart. I'd be very happy with that patch on my gt10 and since my bandit is as clean sounding as that jc120 it should sound similiar. I havent been able to use the usb function maybe my ports are all to full of other hardware. great clip good luck with your tone quest

Tegamal

Here's a couple of his vids with the GT-10:

lnLJOlPrMDo

-XX4TR5R5og

DragonMF

That's amazing!
GT-10 is a very good switcher.

Tegamal

Yeah, but I don't have a whole lot of cash to throw around right now, & I've heard a few people say they prefer the 8 to the 10, but mainly it comes down to money in the end.

Watching an auction on ebay right now that ends tomorrow, so here's hoping!

DragonMF

Watching an auction on ebay right now that ends tomorrow, so here's hoping!
Good luck ;)

load more replies (1 of 1)
Tegamal

I e-mailed 2 guitar centers (va beach & one in mass) about a couple they had used. Neither store ever got back with me. :mad:

cecilbag

that happens to me all the time with gc its annoying to say the least

Tegamal

The auction I've been watching jumped to over $102 this morning, which I knew that the last day would get busy. Nature of the beast.

EDIT: And it's now over my limit... not meant to be yet, but I'll be keeping my eyes open.

StimoS

Yes you can. Im not sure about with the amp you have but it should be possible. First off to run your fx properly that is if your using drives and wah and all other fx, you def want to run the 4 cable method. So look that one up first. It gives you the option to run your wah and drives through the front and your fx through the loop. As far as channel switching the gt-8 is capable i believe but you need to buy the amp gizmo or something like it to give you that option. I forget exactly where i used to go out from the gt-8 for the gizmo but it is absolutly possible.

Post to Thread