What's the reason for bying a horizontal 212?

Updated
What's the reason for bying a horizontal 212?
I've seen a few guys on here who uses a horizontal 212 (floorstanding) and I was just wondering why you would choose a horizontal instead of a vertical slanted cab if the cab is the only one you've got? Isn't it better to have atleast one cone aimed at the player instead of sending all the waves along the floor?
gorsch

I'd say most the guys with just a 2x12 are just bedroom warriors. Or maybe "once in a while we get together and jam" guys. So lugging a 4x12 around for that seems kinda dumb.

if they do play out they've realized that most places mic your rig and run you thru the PA. So you get a monitor right in your face anyway.

plus your tone should "fill the room".........not just shoot straight at your face. If your needing your cab to shoot your tone right at you (AKA "getting lost in the mix"), opposed to standing a ways back from your cab and EQ with your band so you still cut, then you need more practice before playing out.

And not saying this to be a dick either. Just giving "my answer/opinion" to your question. I'm switching from a 4x12 to two 2x12's myself. And I'll be sitting them side by side, not stacking them. One open back and one closed.

jsp

I don't like angled cabs. I'd rather not have the speaker pointing directly at my face.

gorsch

I thought he's asking
why you would choose a horizontal instead of a vertical slanted cab if the cab is the only one you've got?
Isn't it better to have at least one cone aimed at the player instead of sending all the waves along the floor?

MV-CTM

You want your head to be twice as wide as your cab? I don't stand up when I play so I hear it just fine in my rig. In a small space the difference in dispersion and room filling sound is minuscule because it is loud as hell either way.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

I used one for the last year that I toured, had it off stage pointing in like a side fill. I had it sitting on an amp stand and it was just at the sweet spot of an angle that I could manipulate feedback without killing the rest of the band with the volume. I had a D.I. feed to F.O.H. so my mic'd tone was already taken care of.

It made for a cleaner looking stage, gave me more room to run around and a focus direction that minimized the stage volume and gave F.O.H. a good signal that they could control & do their job without having to fight the stage volume to give the venue a clean mix. Eventually my bass player followed suit & it improved our live sound even more. The drummer was able to hear our parts more clearly without having to crank his monitor to excruciating volumes, gives the singer a lower stage volume also so he can hear himself better & not have to strain.

This is all back when we still used floor wedges for monitors. Nowadays I monitor with "in-ears" through and Aviom system.

gorsch

It's really just preference. Some go as far to say that straight cabs have better lows do to there being "more air" inside the cab. I dont go for that seeing as a slant would have just slightly less room.

I like my tone pointed at the back of my knees/legs. Not upward.

Post to Thread